What do you make of Obama's inaugural speech?

Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:26 pm GMT
Yes, it is pretty clear that the blame lay with the Justice gentleman for the fluffing kerfuffle, so we absolve Mr Obama of any guilt.

One thing which I see I have in common with the new American President...I also am a southpaw.
LL   Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:45 pm GMT
Associated Press put the blame on both of them. They were out of sync with each other.
LL   Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:50 pm GMT
"His full name is Barack Hussain Obama. He should have started his day from a mosque than a Church. I am damn confused about his religious faith."

Do you think he is a Muslim? I have no idea. I tend to think of him as a
Unitarian. I think their motto should be "Be all that you can be" because they are interested in discussing all religions, etc. A friend who is a Unitarian says that what Unitarians really believe in is recycling.
redneck rampage   Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 pm GMT
If Obama is a Muslim then he is the first black and muslim President of the USA. It's a pity that he is not also gay or a tranny.
Lazar   Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:45 pm GMT
Obama is neither a Muslim nor a Unitarian, not that it should matter. He belonged to a UCC (i.e. Congregationalist) church in Chicago.
LL   Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:35 pm GMT
I thought that UCC was United Church of Christ, not Congregationalist like they have up in New England.

Clarification?

I actually didn't say that he was a member of the Unitarian church, only that he seems like one on TV as we see he with diverse religious leaders.
LL   Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:43 pm GMT
I just looked on Wikipedia. It sounds like some Congregationalists became UCC and some became CCCC. I have only met a few Congregationalists and they were all very conservative. Before I met them, I thought they were like Unitarians.
LL   Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:55 pm GMT
Lazar,

It does matter to many people "what" their leader believes. In New England, you don't get the same feeling about what huge chunks of the US thinks about religion-that's to say that everyone doesn't think it's a private matter.

I think Obama knows this as well as his strategists and bloggers. Obama did not win by a landslide, he just won, so he has to take into account that beyond the possible holdout racists, there may be some people who geniunely disagree with him from the point of their religion
(Catholics and abortion as one example.) and don't support him.
Josh   Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 pm GMT
"We will restore science to its rightful place"

Great line! It's about time that my country had a president who acts in accordance with reality.

I don't know what the person here who said that Obama is bushifying his positions is talking about. First, Bush is so unpopular that it would be political suicide to do that. Second, it just isn't happening. He has already taken action to ban waterboarding and try to close Guantanamo. America has awakened and wants nothing more to do with Bush's failed policies. The Republicans have more or less been reduced to being a Southern regional party.
Beautiful.69   Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:17 am GMT
Barack is a beautiful man, with a beautiful heart, mind and soul. He has captivated the worlds imagination and suddenly nothing seems or feels impossible. Last but not least, what a lovely family to behold and what a wonderful example of black manhood and fatherhood to a troubled generation of youth. Please God, as you've raised up this multi-racial man, so enable us to embrace him wholeheartedly and let him no no limits in his noble pursuit of world peace, love and unity!
Beautiful.69   Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 am GMT
Barack is a beautiful man, with a beautiful heart, mind and soul. He has captivated the worlds imagination and suddenly nothing seems or feels impossible. Last but not least, what a lovely family to behold and what a wonderful example of black manhood and fatherhood to a troubled generation of youth. Please God, as you've raised up this multi-racial man, so enable us to embrace him wholeheartedly and let him no no limits in his noble pursuit of world peace, love and unity!
Beautiful.69   Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:39 am GMT