Collins Cobuild: Bogey Man

Robin Michael   Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:30 am GMT
I have just received my copy of Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary as reccommended.

I was able to buy the Hardcopy version from Amazon.co.uk for £25, which compared very favourable with the cost of buying the CD alone from America with postage.

The Dictionary is a little bit overwhelming, however I am hoping the CD will be more useful.

I looked up 'Bogeyman' which was one of the words that cropped up while watching 'Oliver Twist'.

It pronounces 'Bogey man' and gives quite a good explanation.

But it does not say what a 'train bogey' is

or, say what a bogey means in a slang expression.
Jago   Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:34 am GMT
In British English 'bogey' refers to the solids, caused by dried mucus, that gather in ones nostrils.
Robin Michael   Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:35 am GMT
separated by a common language: bogy, bogey, boogie, boogerWhat about a train's bogey, referring to a carriage not some collective snot? :- /. 20 September, 2007 12:00 · lynneguist said. ...
separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2007/09/bogy-bogey-boogie-booger.html - 170k - Cached - Similar pages

I had forgotten about a bogey in Golf.

In the Web Article, it also mentions 'snot', which Collins Cobuild coped with quite well.
Humfrey   Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:30 pm GMT
Robin Michael   Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:48 am GMT
Dear Sir Humphrey

Thank you very much for your web page suggestion. The Web Page describes varies types of 'bogies'. I found it quite interesting. I was familiar with the term 'railway train bogie' but I did not realise that it also applied to aircraft landing gear.

<<
Also spelled bogey; bogy.
(aerospace engineering) A type of landing-gear unit consisting of two sets of wheels in tandem with a central strut.
>>

When I looked up 'bogie' in the Collins Cobuild dictionary; this was the answer that I got:

BR written One camp suggests a management team headed by Bill Bogie, the chief executive, is set to table a buyout at a board meeting today.

BR written Jeff Minton (knee) may miss out, so Ian Bogie and Paul Donnelly are added to the squad.

(The suggestion being, that Bogie is a surname in British English - Written.)