Gormless= Eejit = Klutz?

Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:08 pm GMT
Candy mentioned a word I've never even heard of - gormless. I agree it's a lovley word. I think the American equivalent would be klutz and the Irish would be eejit, another adorable word.

But I'm not sure if all three mean the same thing. Can anyone tell me?
Candy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:30 pm GMT
Terry, as 'gormless' is an adjective perhaps 'klutzy' would be better (if such a word exists!)
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:25 pm GMT
<< as 'gormless' is an adjective perhaps 'klutzy' would be better (if such a word exists!) >>

Oh I see, Candy. Yes Klutzy exists - I should know. :)

I think eejit is a noun as well.
Candy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:28 pm GMT
<<Yes Klutzy exists - I should know. :) >>

Hehehe!! Yes, gormless was invented for me, I'm sure! :)

It reminds me of a school play we did when I was 10, called "I came, I saw, I made a mess of it", about the Romans in Britain. I played a character called Lady Phobia, my husband was Pompous Unscrupulous, and our daughter was Bacteria. We had 2 servants called Garrulous and Gormless! :-)
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:03 pm GMT
<<Yes, gormless was invented for me, I'm sure! :) >>

Always happy to meet another klutz.

I can't wait to call my friends "gormless." They'll love it!

That play sounds hilarious, Candy.
Candy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:12 pm GMT
<<That play sounds hilarious, Candy. >>

Yeah, it was great - the highlight of my acting career! :)
Hope your friends enjoy 'gormless' - how about calling them 'you daft git' or 'you pillock'?? (I'm sure they're not, of course, but maybe they'd find it amusing!)
Terry   Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:47 pm GMT
<<Hope your friends enjoy 'gormless' - how about calling them 'you daft git' or 'you pillock'?? (I'm sure they're not, of course, but maybe they'd find it amusing!) >>

I'd like to but first I better know what they mean.:) Would you give me the definitions?