Guest   Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:13 pm GMT
Mary does not rhyme with batty.
corrector   Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:08 pm GMT
But marry does!
Uriel   Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:49 pm GMT
<<Marry rhymes with batty (short vowel)

Merry rhymes with berry (short vowel)

Mary rhymes with haaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiry (long vowel) >>

Wll, that's no help. Hairy and berry also rhyme for me. And I say batty as "baddy", which sounds nothing like "mare-ree".

My "law" has no R involved, of course, so it sounds nothing like "lore"! More like "lah". So there you go with your confusing merger, Caspian.....;)
WRP   Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:35 pm GMT
I made a sound recording of it for you, hopefully that helps.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J6KXLCXH
hairlessberry   Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:43 pm GMT
>>Wll, that's no help. Hairy and berry also rhyme for me. And I say batty as "baddy", which sounds nothing like "mare-ree". <<

The point made was you imagine hairy having a longer vowel than berry.

And imagine batty or baddy rhyming with marry (the vowel makes the rhyme, not the "tt" or "dd".)
Uriel   Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:35 pm GMT
But the A in Mary is R-colored, and the A in batty isn't. And even if I stretch out the vowel in hairy or berry they still sound exactly the same.
asdf   Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:45 pm GMT
>> The point made was you imagine hairy having a longer vowel than berry.
<<

Here's what you don't quite understand. Here is how a m-m-m merged person from the Western US pronounces these words:

Let E = the vowel in the word "bed"
Mary = mEri
Merry = mEri
marry = mEri
Hairy = hEri
Harry = hEri

notice a common theme? ;)

So saying that "hairy" (hEri) has a longer vowel then "berry" (bEri) makes absolutely no sense to someone that has the vowel merger. Does "behhhhhd" sound any different than "bed"?
blanc   Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:47 pm GMT
>> But the A in Mary is R-colored, and the A in batty isn't. And even if I stretch out the vowel in hairy or berry they still sound exactly the same. <<

Basically try this:
say "mat". Now take off the "t". Then add "ree" to the end of it.

Now say "Hey Ree!"

Got it?

It isn't so much that "hairy" has a longer vowel, but rather a different one.
Uriel   Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:18 am GMT
Nobody says "Hey Ree" for hairy! Not even in the UK!
AJC   Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:18 am GMT
<<So saying that "hairy" (hEri) has a longer vowel then "berry" (bEri) makes absolutely no sense to someone that has the vowel merger. Does "behhhhhd" sound any different than "bed"?>>

Yes, it sounds like "Baird"
asdf   Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:53 am GMT
>>
Yes, it sounds like "Baird" <<

Baird is properly pronounced like "bard".
asdf   Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:56 am GMT
>> Yes, it sounds like "Baird" <<

How could it? "Baird" has an "r" in it. And if you have the merger, you also have the "r". Think about how an American would pronounce "Baird", and then say that "behhd" sounds like "Baird".
hairlessberry   Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:57 am GMT
>>Here's what you don't quite understand. Here is how a m-m-m merged person from the Western US pronounces these words:

Let E = the vowel in the word "bed"
Mary = mEri
Merry = mEri
marry = mEri
Hairy = hEri
Harry = hEri

notice a common theme? ;)

So saying that "hairy" (hEri) has a longer vowel then "berry" (bEri) makes absolutely no sense to someone that has the vowel merger. Does "behhhhhd" sound any different than "bed"? <<

I understand perfectly. But like I said, for someone trying to understand the non-merged pronunciations, that's where imagination comes in.

Using your notion:
mary = mE:ri (or mE@ri for some)
merry = mEri

As for marry, you have to accept there's a different vowel in there.
i.e. marry = mæri

It's just like how there are different vowels in "bat": bæt and "bet": bEt for most speakers.

>>Nobody says "Hey Ree" for hairy! Not even in the UK!<<

I've heard some Americans pronounce it that way. i.e. using that rough notation above: heri as opposed to hEri
AJC   Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:17 am GMT
<<How could it? "Baird" has an "r" in it. And if you have the merger, you also have the "r". Think about how an American would pronounce "Baird", and then say that "behhd" sounds like "Baird".>>

It sounds like "Baird" *to me*, whereas "bed" doesn't. Therefore they sound different to each other.