the meaning of ''it's not my call''

Guest   Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:17 pm GMT
Hey!

I wonder what the expression ''it's not my call'' means. I have heard it used among Americans (not sure if it is used elsewhere), and I think it means ''it's not up to me to decide'' or something like that. Could you give some examples of how to use that?

Another phrase that puzzles me is ''good call''. I think I know what that means, but still the phrase sounds a little bit strange to me as the common meaning of ''call'' does not always seem to fit the situation.
Thanks!
JTT   Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:10 pm GMT
See http://www.yourdictionary.com/call , under 'noun', definition #19.
ure   Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:26 pm GMT
It means "it's not my decision" or "it isn't up to me".
Uriel   Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:47 pm GMT
The idiomatic use of "call" comes from sports refereeing -- the referee is said to "call" fouls, plays, etc. (he literally does call out his ruling or decision to the crowd). So he is said to have the power to "make the call" (decide), and a "good call" is one where everyone agrees that he made the right decision, whereas a "bad call" is one that evidence seems to dispute his judgement (where a camera at a different perspective shows that a player really was in bounds when the ref thought he was out, or something like that).

So this idea has filtered into other aspects of life.

"Call" can also mean "to claim", as when little kids say "I called it" or when you are asked to call heads or tails during a coin toss. It can also mean "predict" as when someone says, "So-and-so always said the banks needed more regulation -- guess he really called it, huh?"