BLOW THE WIND SOUTHERLY

Anonymous123   Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:22 pm GMT
The following sond is from a Tyneside air from Northern England. The words are based on a fragment found in the Bishoprick Garland. It is sung in English. (This is another one of those songs which is not on the cutting edge of the London - Manchester club scene but which is beautiful nevertheless... or perhaps because so.) Here it is:

Blow the wind southerly, southerly, southerly
Blow the wind south o'er the bonnie blue sea
Blow bonnie breeze my lover to me

They told me last night there were ships in the offing
And I hurried down to the deep rolling sea
But my eye could not see it wherever might be it
The bark that is bringing my lover to me

Blow the wind south o'er the bonnie blue sea
Blow bonnie breeze and bring him to me

Is it not sweet to hear the breeze singing
As lightly it comes o'er the deep rolling sea
But sweeter and dearer by far t'is when bringing
The bark of my true love in safety to me

Blow bonnie breeze and bring him to me

Has anyone heard of this song before? Does anyone have any further information about this song. I would especially like to hear from those of you who may be from northern England but all replies are welcome.

Incidentally, are you supposed to capitalise the "n" in "Northern England" or not? Also, is the word "bonnie" still used in the British Isles? (by anyone under the age of 162, that is).
Uriel   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:24 am GMT
Never heard it, but it sounds pretty.

Damian probably says "bonnie" for time to time, even if only to keep up appearances. ;)
Candy   Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:54 am GMT
<<Damian probably says "bonnie" for time to time, even if only to keep up appearances. ;) >>

I say 'bonnie' too! :) She's a bonnie (or bonny) lass": a pretty girl.
Anonymous123   Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:51 pm GMT
Candy, are you from northern England by any chance? If so, did you ever learn this song in school or have you ever heard it from your parents/grandparents. It sounds like a very traditional song to me. It is also a very beautiful song.
Candy   Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:23 pm GMT
Yes, I'm from the North of England. Unfortunately I don't know the song, but I picked up the word 'bonny' from my grandparents. I know a lot of people who still use it.