The Stubborn Accent Won't Go Away

ESB   Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:25 am GMT
I realize this is a topic that's been hashed over and discussed in every possible shape and form on this forum, but so far, no one has provided an answer to my satisfaction--and I'd like to write some additional thoughts on this topic.

I came to the US when I was 12 years old but even now (at age 28) retain a slight accent. (I speak my native language, Russian, all the time at home; I only speak English at work or with some friends.) I've posted several samples of my voice here, and the consensus on this forum has been that I don't have an accent (my pronounciation is American), and that even if I do, it's almost completely imperceptible. Different people tell me different things. This is one of the things that bewilders me and confuses me. My goal is to achieve a 100% native-sounding American accent so that I NEVER get the question "Where are you from originally?" ever again.

There's no question that my English is excellent and my pronunciation is maybe 95% there (hell, I grew up in this country). When I record myself reading a news article, for instance, I hear a fairly good American accent. But whenever I talk to someone in "real life," I always have to field this question about my origins. Just the other day, I was talking to this one girl and the subject of accents came up, I asked her if I had an accent, she looked at me funny and said, "What, you can't hear it??!!"

Now, this is the point--the only thing I'm aware of is that sometimes my mouth *strains* a little to achieve this or that sound. I'm only aware of the slight strain, and it's possible that you know you have an accent when you strain a little bit even if you think you've managed to produce the sound. How do you *know* that you do or don't have an accent? For example, when native speakers speak, they just *know* they don't have an accent, they have that confidence. Where does it come from?

I bought a 2-CD audio-package by Judy Ravin called "Lose Your Accent in 28 Days." It shows pictures of how you should place your tongue to make every American sound, and also some daily exercises. People have reported good progress with it. It's a good system, I understand why it's useful, but I'm not sure if it'll "push me over the top" in terms of what I need.

I can't help but think that if I spoke more English more actively, and not just at work, I'd get better, but I don't know. Is there any professional and reliable advice on how to achieve a native-sounding pronunciation? More importantly, if there *were* such advice, how would you track your progress? Any system is meaningless without some kind of objective progress tracking.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts/comments
LL   Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:57 am GMT
It could be that your accent only shows up at certain times. Some people sound less native when they are in uncomfortable situations.
12345   Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:40 pm GMT
Erm everyone has an accent. If I speak Dutch, which is my native language, you can clearly hear I'm from the northern part here.

If I speak English I'm sure you can hear I'm from the Netherlands I think. I think some people just can't lose their accent. Some people can practice whatever they want, they just won't lose it, while others accustom very easily to an accent. Like, I can accustom very easily to the 'soft G' the people in south use here. I can easily adopt their way of speaking. While I know others who aren't able to do that.
However, I think if I'd live in the USA or UK, I'd never lose my Dutch accent.
Danilo   Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 pm GMT
You speak russian at home, with your family, with some friends.
Do you watch movies in russian too?
Live in US but speak in most the time Russian.
I don't no if is the same case of your:
I know people that born in southeast of Brazil (here where I live and born), but speak accent of northeast with yours parents, all the time at home and with some friends, when this people talk with me for example, they don't lose the accent, but maintain a very little accent from northeast, sometimes it is possible to perceive and sometimes not.
:) LL   Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 pm GMT
Some thoughts: Do you have an accent in Russian now?

I would try two things. One, listen to more English-especially for at least fifteen-twenty minutes before you go out-while you dress, etc. Make sure that the sounds of English are what you hear before you talk to a native speaker. You want to make sure your brain is in English mode.

The second suggestion is to use the book and CD often, not just once or twice. Play it in the background, so you get the sounds in your head.

As our Dutch numerical friend suggested, we all have accents and it's okay to gently remind people (almost like you don't care) that "Oh, yeah-that. Everyone has an accent, though.", then find out exactly what that person (who pointed it out) heard. Was it accent, intonation, body language, or a Russian way of expressing something in English? Try to make it sound casual, so your "teacher" doesn't think you are obsessed with your accent.

The last thing. I wouldn't worry about it unless you think it is keeping you from getting ahead, getting a job, etc. If it is, I think you need to increase your listening time in English.
rere   Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:09 am GMT
It's too late now. If you are 100% fluent in English chances are it will be impossible to get rid of it since it's so ingrained in your mind. To get a perfect accent one must be aware of their accent and concentrate on it right from the beginning, constantly "correcting" it as they go. Maybe if you're exceptional you could do it, but unfortunately chances are you aren't.
Danilo   Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:43 pm GMT
I known a chinese that come to Brazil adult and learn portuguese without accent, because, she losts contact with your family in China.
I known a french that come to Brazil and in 4 years, he was skeaping portuguese without accent (French and Portuguese are similars), and he has family brazilian.
T   Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:44 am GMT
It's not necessarily too late, but I doubt CDs will get you there. At the last stages of accent elimination, the work is extremely subtle. Where in the States are you located? There are some truly excellent speech therapists working here in NYC.

My situation was worse - I came over when I was 17, perfectly fluent in written English, but with a strong Eastern European accent. I still slip up now and then, but I've been working with an accent coach for the past 1.5 years, and recently I have had people repeatedly mistake me for a native speaker. Sometimes they think I'm a Brit (no idea why - my accent is American, but I guess just a tad off). Yesterday I had an American friend who I hadn't seen in a year tell me, without prompting and with considerable surprise, that he couldn't hear my accent anymore.

Now I know I'm still not perfect, and I still slip up occasionally - but the improvement I've seen over the past year and a half has been incredible, and this leads me to believe it may be possible to get "all the way there" in a year or two more. If I can do that, so can you. Again, getting the right help is essential - if you're in the NY area, I can give you some names. And I hear that there are excellent people in LA too (because of Hollywood).
LL   Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:02 am GMT
An accent coach is a good idea if you can afford it.
Carol   Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:30 am GMT
I think it's because you are not speaking English at home.

I know that I have worked with many foreigners, and the ones that speak English at home speak way more clearly than those that don't. It's really obvious. Some of them I can hardly understand.

Additionally, I am from Michigan but have worked all over the US and have adapted my way of talking towards that particular region, and whenever I've made a trip home, when I come back people can tell my accent has changed back because I unconsciously fall back to speaking the way I grew up.

How can you form your words correctly and build upon that when you keep forming words differently every day?

BTW, I also get asked "Where are you from, originally?" if I am around locals. I don't get it from work because I work in software and it seems like everybody is from somewhere else.
ESB   Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:20 pm GMT
T, do you have an email address, so we can take this off-line? I'm extremely intrigued by your posts.

I would really appreciate it if you could contact me at: eugenebalt@yahoo.com . I have some more questions I wanted to ask about your experiences with these coaches and what you learned. No, I'm not in NYC, I'm in Baltimore, but I think we both have Eastern European backgrounds.

If you have a bit of time, I'd really appreciate an email and further discussion of this. Thanks a lot.
LingQer   Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:43 pm GMT
I would not worry about your accent. On the other hand the only advice I would give is to choose a person whose voice and intonation you enjoy, maybe from an audio book. Then listen to it over and over, really trying to imitate and emulate that person in every way.
ESB   Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:01 pm GMT
T, one more question -- I fully understand what you wrote about "false assumptions" with respect to many sounds -- my question is, is it possible to have a series of 'quick' (say 3-4) coaching sessions to clarify all the sounds and make significant breakthroughs? Is it individual-oriented (only the sounds that he/she needs to understand), or the coach just goes A-Z from scratch? A year is an extremely long process, but can several sessions make a huge difference?

A further description of the process would be extremely useful, but I again, I suggest an email conversation (my address is above). Thanks for your help, I hope to hear from you!!!
ESB   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 pm GMT
T, are you still around? Just wanted to make sure you read my message. Please respond if you get a chance. Thanks
Me   Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:12 pm GMT
Marry and American who does not speak Russian, then you will be forced to speak English at home as well.