Japanese more difficult than Korean, or vice-versa?

Super Korean   Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:02 pm GMT
Both Japanese and Korean are very difficult languages for native speakers of English and other European language speakers.
Japanese is easier to pronounce because of the simpler phonetic rules; Korean has a much easier writing system. Korean writing system, Hangul, is very logical and works so well that Korea can boast around 99% literacy in the whole country.
If you learn Japanese up to an intermediate level, you have to study at least 2000 Kanji which might take your lifetime to learn. Plus, reading Japanese Kanji is not that simple as the characters can be read two or more ways - depending on the contexts and the usage. For example, "風
" means "wind" and it can be read either "kaze" or "fu". In the word of "風船" , it should be read "FU-sen"; however, in the word of "神風", the "風 should be pronounced "kaze" and the word becomes "kamiKAZE". Also, the word "神" (meaning: god, ghost or spirit) can be pronouced either "kami" or "jin". In the word "神社", it is "JIN-ja" but in the word "神風", it is "KAMI-kaze". Non-native speakers of Japanese will never master these super-complicated rules.

The two languages' grammar systems(syntax) are pretty similar that are totally different from European languages. This enables the online translator works pretty well for translating Korean into Japanese and vice versa.
All in all, I would say they are around the same level in terms of difficulty.

<An excerpt from Wikipedi article>
"The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) of the US Department of State has compiled approximate learning expectations for a number of languages". Of the 63 languages analyzed, the 5 most difficult languages to reach proficiency in speaking and proficiency in reading (for native English speakers who already know other languages), requiring 88 weeks, are: "Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean", with Japanese being the most difficult.
Super Korean   Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:18 pm GMT
By the way, regarding Korean consonant pronunciation:

[ㅂ] => maybe in between "b" and "p" but closer to "b"
[ㅃ] => this is closer to "p" sound from Romance languages such as <Spanish P> or <Italian P>, or it is similar to the "English p sound after s" as in "spa", "spank", "sport", you know the stronger P sound from these words.
[ㅍ] => closer to regular "p" sound from Germanic languages like <English P> or <German P>.

I'm not a professional linguist but as a native speaker of Korean, this how they work.
J.C.   Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:23 pm GMT
@Super Korean씨
I found the following website about Korean pronunciation and wonder if it would be useful for explaining:

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/korean.htm

Cheers!!
Super Korean   Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 am GMT
@J.C. :
Yes, it seems to be useful.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to post a reply here.
Luke   Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:57 pm GMT
Super Korean, do you think it's possible to learn Korean as a hobby and alone?
If yes, are there good websites to do that?
Super Korean   Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:25 am GMT
Well, I know some non-Korean people who live outside Korea learn Korean language by going to a Korean church(if you live in a big city in the US or Canada), watching Korean TV shows and listening to Korean popsongs. So I think it's possible to learn if you are really interested in it.

Regarding webistes, below is a list of my suggestions:

http://lei.snu.ac.kr/english/pages/SD00023_01.jsp

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7C6C62CF9F078FDD

http://onlinelearning.lingnet.org/korean/default1.htm

http://www.learn-korean.net/

http://www.unification.org/ucbooks/kintro/toc.htm

Hope these help ^^
J.C.   Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:42 am GMT
@Super Korean:
Thanks for the links for studying Korean and the suggestion to go to a church. The main reason why I loved Korea is because there are many churches and I was VERY well treated there. Also, when Korean start singing praise&worship they start crying just like Brazilians do!!!I think Koreans are the Latin people of Asia. What do you think?

Anyway, I will try to find some time to start studying Korean again!!!

감사합니다!!
Super Korean   Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:23 pm GMT
<I think Koreans are the Latin people of Asia. What do you think? >
Yes, we Koreans are sometimes referred to as "Asian Latinos", "Asian Italians" or even "Asian Irish". I guess it's because Koreans are quick-tempered, hot-tempered and have had history full of ups and downs.

JC, Do you live in Sao Paolo, Brazil? There must be a sizeable Korean community so if you live close to Sao Paolo, you can make friends with Koreans and it will help you learn Korean language.
J.C.   Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:29 pm GMT
"Yes, we Koreans are sometimes referred to as "Asian Latinos", "Asian Italians" or even "Asian Irish". I guess it's because Koreans are quick-tempered, hot-tempered and have had history full of ups and downs. "
Then it must be the reason why I get along with Koreans. They say what they want and I react in whatever way I want, too. :)
Right after that we just say 괜찮다 and life goes on!! :)

"JC, Do you live in Sao Paolo, Brazil? There must be a sizeable Korean community so if you live close to Sao Paolo, you can make friends with Koreans and it will help you learn Korean language."
Unfortunately I'm not in Brazil at the moment...I do remember I saw some Koreans when I went to São Paulo before I came to Japan. I would really love to hang out with Koreans again. I don't feel I'm talking to Asians, not that I care about "race" of people I hang out with...친구가틴구이에요!

안녕!!
Guest   Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:32 pm GMT
Yes, we Koreans are sometimes referred to as "Asian Latinos", "Asian Italians" or even "Asian Irish". I guess it's because Koreans are quick-tempered, hot-tempered and have had history full of ups and downs.

The Asian Latinos are the filipinos. They have Latin religion, Latin surnames, latin cuisine and many Latin(Spanish) loanwords.
Guest   Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:47 pm GMT
<<I think Koreans are the Latin people of Asia. What do you think? >>

I think Latinos are the Koreans of Latin America
Guest   Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:50 pm GMT
<<I think Latinos are the Koreans of Latin America >>

...continued

We came first
J.C.   Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:11 am GMT
"친구가틴구이에요!"
친구가친구이에요
Julien   Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:43 am GMT
Japanese more difficult than Korean, or vice-versa?

I'm french and I'm learning korean, and i find this very easy.

There is nothing difficult in the Asiatic languages, it is just psychologic.
J.C.   Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 am GMT
I'm french and I'm learning korean, and i find this very easy. "

@Julien:

Do you mean in which aspect? Grammar, pronunciation or vocabulary? I guess Korean could be easy for French speakers to pronounce because of the "liaison". What do you think?

Cheers!!