what language is it?

Sarmackie   Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:46 pm GMT
Considering that graphical representations of words and the words themselves are only related through a consensus agreement about which characters represent which phonemes under which circumstances, I think you're looking at the question of whether French is a romance language (which is, as far as I'm concerned, basically the linguistic equivalent to Holocaust denial) from the completely wrong angle.

The only deterministic relationship (which is itself ultimately arbitrary) between spoken language and written language is that the former affects the latter. After all, because of lexical conventions in the English language, some words have several different accepted spellings but they're all pronounced the same. Likewise, we have words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently and some completely different words that are spelled differently but still pronounced the same.

Writing is a representation of the language and not the language in itself. I don't mean to say you're wrong, because French is definitely a Romance language and to say otherwise amounts to nothing more than mad, nationalist ranting. You just need to pay attention to the phonological history.