Kiss someone's ass

General   Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:28 am GMT
This kid next to me in class just asked me if I knew of a 'polite' way/word that serves the same purpose as the idiom "kiss (someone's) ass."
Any ideas?

Also, is it grammatically correct to say/write: "He has 10 years experience" omitting the 'of?'
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:54 am GMT
I assume you're American.

Firstly, that "kissing ass" expression is very much an American one - it's not used much over here in the UK at all,and neither is its variant "kick ass". If it was the S(cottish) S(ociety) for the P(rotection) of C(ruelty) to A(nimals ) would probably forcefully intervene - as would the R(oyal)SPCA in England and Wales.

We have our own terms to describe the same scenario, again using "impolite" words - you will have to use your own imagination if you wish to use "more polite" forms.

Secondly - you are grammatically incorrect, but nothing to do with "of". All you need to do is to tack an apostrophe (' - for the possessive case) at the end of "years" if you wish to be text book perfect in correct English.
French   Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:42 am GMT
What is the purpose of saying "kiss someone's ass"? Is it an insult? I would not take it as such.
Lucky   Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 am GMT
Kiss ass = suck up
an idea   Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:48 pm GMT
Kiss someone's ass:
Would you gently caress someone's buttocks with your lips.
Guest60   Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:08 pm GMT
Brown Nose
General   Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:55 pm GMT
>>Secondly - you are grammatically incorrect, but nothing to do with "of".

It is not me who's grammatically incorrect, Damian. It's the book. When I first came across that sentence it raised a bunch of red flags in my mind, and boy, did it ruin the rest of my afternoon.
Thanks for the reply anyway.

Anybody else with an answer to my first query?
Silvio Berlusconi   Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:59 pm GMT
Coax? Adulate?
tbd   Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:42 pm GMT
He tried to gain favor by excessive groveling and obsequious behavior. He's extremely engratiating and servile.
Rosemachinegun   Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:39 pm GMT
A sycophant
Another Guest   Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:41 am GMT
Flatter, kowtow

<If it was the S(cottish) S(ociety) for the P(rotection) of C(ruelty) to A(nimals )>
Surely that's "prevention", not "protection"?
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:53 am GMT
Yes, you are absolutely right...."prevention" and not "protection" - a momentary lapse of concentration - I must have been thinking of birds and not animals in general.

RSPCA = prevention

http://www.rspca.org.uk/

RSPB = protection
(Royal Society for the Protection of Birds)

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/lookfor/index.asp

Humblest!
Blanc le Blanc   Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:12 am GMT
'buttering up someone'

'toady', 'yes-man' though slightly different in meaning
Pub Lunch   Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:18 pm GMT
How about 'Brown Nose'??

It's not polite but personally I think that you can't top 'Bum/Arse licker'.

I'd have to disagree with Damien because I hear "Kick Ass" being said quite a lot over here.

It's odd because although an ass in Britain is a species of Donkey I know that in the not too distant past 'ass' was used as to an alternative to 'idiot' such as "you are such an ass" or "you pompous ass". At no time was ass ever used to mean 'bum' but although the actual meaning is/was different I believe the Americans use 'ass' in this way.

Personally I find the word 'ass' awkward to say - arse is just easier for me but I'd have to admit that it does sound more vulgar than the American alternative and I don't think I am alone there.

You can see 'ass' written in many a Daily rag for example but you'd rarely if ever see 'arse' in a Daily (unless you're reading the Daily sport).
Uriel   Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:48 am GMT
I can't bring myself to say "arse". It just sounds silly to me. "Ass" is infinitely more colorful and vulgar!

"Brown nose" is the usual socially-acceptable variation on "kiss ass". Pointedly rubbing your fingers up and down on the tip of your nose as if removing a smudge is a silent version of the same.