American English sounds - questions

ESB   Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:08 pm GMT
Some more help is requested from the native-born American speakers on this board.

Could you clarify how the following should be pronounced in American English.

1) The "L" sound in 'regular', 'long', etc.: Is the tongue placed on the RIDGE several millimeters away from the front teeth, or is it directly behind the front teeth and touching them? Same with the "N" sound.

2) The "L" sound in the words 'ball' and 'girl': does the tongue now touch the front teeth?

3) When you casually say "I'm moving to a new place", how do you pronounce the "t" in "to" -- is it an aspirated 't', a flap 't', or some other variety of "t"?

4) Other than the sound "th", which requires the teeth, does your speech pretty much always remain firmly BEHIND the front teeth, never actually touching them? This may be a weird question, but I've found that part of my accent is due to forming dental sounds which are actually far and few between in American English (in other words, the American sounds are further back in the mouth).

5) I've been told that some of my sounds are 'back-in-the-throat'. How do you change the resonation to occur in the middle of the mouth, as required for American English? By the way, the 'back-in-the-throat' is typical for speakers of Russian and I'm in that group.
Entbark   Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:09 pm GMT
I am a native speaker of American English.
1) L behind the teeth, N on the ridge.
2) Tongue does not touch the teeth but is instead pulled down by the ridge under the bottom teeth.
3) The T is on the ridge and is aspirated.
4) Other than fricatives/labials and the L from your first question, my speech stays in the mouth, not usually touching the teeth.
Kate Blanc   Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:11 am GMT
1) The "L" sound in 'regular', 'long', etc.: Is the tongue placed on the RIDGE several millimeters away from the front teeth, or is it directly behind the front teeth and touching them?
$$$$

L can be dark (back#1) or light (front#2) in English.
In RP, L is light at the beginning of a syllable, and dark at the end of a syllable.
In US and Scottish English, there's a tendency of darkness, in all positions.
In Welsh and Atlantic Canada English, there's a tendency of lightness, in all positions.

#1 as in ''Portugal, Brasil'' as pronounced by a speaker of Continental Portuguese
#2 as in ''loco, el'' as pronounced by a speaker of Spanish
ESB   Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:43 pm GMT
Thanks a lot for the replies.