What's the name of this vegetable?

xyz   Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:56 am GMT
pdq   Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:12 am GMT
is this a trick question?
xyz   Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:44 am GMT
Not sure what exactly makes you think so, but you're probably new to this forum so I'll give you a pass this time.
Guest   Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:55 am GMT
A type of spinach
trick answer   Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:12 pm GMT
Judging by the name of the image, it must be a... ***drum roll***

... arugula
Jago   Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:01 pm GMT
Looks like Rocket to me
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:53 pm GMT
Firstly, it isn't a vegetable...it's a herb, and it is used in mixed salads.

Both the last and penultimate posts are correct as rocket and arugula mean the same thing. Rocket is the term used over here, and I don't know where the other word is used.

Rocket can be wild or cultivated, and it was particularly popular in Tudor times in England, prior to the advent of all the varieties of lettuce for instance, and presumably that was the case in Scotland as well, but Scotland did not form part of the Tudor dynasty anyway.....we brought the Stuarts to the English throne through James VI of Scotland (son of Mary Queen of Scots) who became James I of England and Wales - even before we Scots hooked up with the Sassenachs and the Taffs in 1707 in one big happy band of brothers (and sisters) under one flag (although they forgot to include the Taffs on that...it seemed they couldn't quite fit a dragon into the design.

Apart from chucking wild rocket into salads in the days of Good Queen Bess they used to lob in all sorts of other kinds of greenery which had proved to be edible with no ill effects. They even used to include dandelion leaves and apparently they are supposed to be quite tasty, but as dandelions are regarded as weeds, and have the abiity to push their way up through concrete seemingly, 21st century Brits tend to give them a miss.

In Scotland there used to be the juvenile belief that if you picked dandelions you would wet the bed that night.
Guest02   Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:38 pm GMT
From the website:

"ARUGULA PERENNIAL ROCKET - Eruca Sylvatica - Perennial
Height: 40cm Space 25cm

A loose SPINACH like green with a harsh bitter flavor that adds bite to a boring salad. An annual cultivar with very finely cut deeply indented dark green leaves followed by pretty yellow flowers that make spicy edible flowers for garnishes. Plant successive crops -tender leaves are best. Semi shade, moist soil."
planchette   Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:46 pm GMT
<wet the bed>

Maybe because dandelion leaves are diuretic.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:06 am GMT
Maybe they are but we were never told to eat them and I'm glad we didn't...cats and dogs and perhaps other wee beasties prowling about have a habit of peeing on clumps of dandelions, haven't you noticed? We were just told that the we only had to pluck a dandelion and we did what those cats and dogs do while we are asleep in bed. I've never tested the theory, and my mum is happy with that.
Eddie   Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:09 am GMT
(The Contibutor)
Spinach is a brain food that feeds the brain vital nutrients and enzymes which strengthen synapses and produce healthy levels of neurotransmitters. So eat plenty of the vegetable that you have seen a picture of in this thread and that will improve your language learning capabilities. I also recommend doing Sudoku puzzles.
placard   Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:45 am GMT
Weeing wee beasties is why one washes ones herbs and veggies before consumption.
Uriel   Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:26 am GMT
Ick. I've had arugula. It's awful.
Eddie   Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:09 am GMT
Fish and mangoes are also good for one's memory and hence language learning.