French language

Leasnam   Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:54 pm GMT
<<Mais est-ce qu'on a oublié les langues créoles? Elles sont plus similaires que la plupart de langues qu'on a mentionnées ici... >>

Creoles are children of their Parent languages and are not suitable for this kind of comparison when asking which language is closer IMHO.
Caspian   Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:09 pm GMT
<< Creoles are children of their Parent languages and are not suitable for this kind of comparison when asking which language is closer IMHO. >>

All languages are children of their parent languages - French, Italian, Spanish all of Latin - and English too, to a great extent. I think that the Creoles are developed enough to be counted - but it is just a matter of opinion.
Guest   Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:47 pm GMT
English is not a son of Latin at all.
Caspian   Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:54 pm GMT
<< English is not a son of Latin at all. >>

But of course it is! So much of the lexicon and grammar comes from Latin. If you look at any sentence, it's quite often the case that there's more Latin lexicon than there is Anglo-Saxon. Why try to deny something that's quite blatantly staring you in the face?
dada   Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:46 pm GMT
No, Caspian, English is a Germanic son but had a long fling with Latin.
guest   Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:57 pm GMT
English is the son of Germanic parents who likes to wear some latin clothes.

Even if a swedish wear a kimono, he would not become son of Japanese.

"If you look at any sentence, it's quite often the case that there's more Latin lexicon than there is Anglo-Saxon"

Well, it seems a wrong idea often repetited on internet forums
let's see your sentense

if, you, look, at , any, it, is, quite, often, the, that, there, 's, more, than, there, is, anglo-saxon = 18 words of germanic origin

sentense, case, latin, lexicon = 4 latin words
Leasnam   Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:30 pm GMT
<<if, you, look, at , any, it, is, quite, often, the, that, there, 's, more, than, there, is, anglo-saxon = 18 words of germanic origin

sentense, case, latin, lexicon = 4 latin words >>

'quite' is latinate
lexicon is Greek, not Latin

so 16 Anglo-Saxon (80%)
3 Latin (15%)
1 Greek (5%)

<<But of course it is! So much of the lexicon and grammar comes from Latin. If you look at any sentence, it's quite often the case that there's more Latin lexicon than there is Anglo-Saxon. Why try to deny something that's quite blatantly staring you in the face? >>

Caspian, this is a myth seemingly prevalent among British speakers (though I'm definitely not knocking the British. It is certainly found everywhere). You have been lied to by someone, either by educators or through what you've read or heard. You have been led to believe something that isn't true by someone--maybe even yourself-- who *wants* you to believe English is a Latin offspring. What's blatant is you really don't know what Latin or Germanic mean.
Guest   Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:59 pm GMT
If the British want to speak a Latin language they should better revive Classical Latin and adopt it as the official language of Great Britain. But so far they speak a Germanic derived language with a few Latin words.
loo   Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:02 pm GMT
To those saying that Catalan sounds like French: I am French and I cannot understand a single word of Catalan when it is spoken.
Occitan however sounds a bit like southern French and I can get about 50% of it. Catalan however sounds almost exactly like Spanish to my ears and is unintelligible.
Guest   Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:09 pm GMT
Catalan is an Occitan dialect but it's heavily influenced by Spanish. The same happens with Galician. Look at how different Portuguese sounds with respect to Galician, but they are basically the same language.
Kroll   Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:30 am GMT
Caspian, I really don't think that English can be considerated a Latin Language but Germanic Lenguage. May be influnced by It. Like Catalan and Galician are influenced by Spanish or Occitan by French, etc...
spl0uf   Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:09 am GMT
<<<< English is not a son of Latin at all. >>

But of course it is! So much of the lexicon and grammar comes from Latin. If you look at any sentence, it's quite often the case that there's more Latin lexicon than there is Anglo-Saxon. Why try to deny something that's quite blatantly staring you in the face? >>

Let's see. Your paragraph contains 48 words. The words of Latin origin in it are: "coure" "lexicon" "grammar" "Latin" "sentence" "case" "Latin" "lexicon" "Anglo-Saxon" "blatantly" "face". That's 11 words out of 48 (and I was generous in counting "Latin" and "Anglo Saxon"), all of which are either adjectives or nouns. Every single grammatical word that builds your paragraph is of Germanic origin.
But Caspian, that doesn't matter. The fact is that the roots of the English language are Germanic. That's how languages are classified. Even if English had been so influenced by Romance languages that its vocabulary was now 90% latin, it would still be a Germanic language.
spl0uf   Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:12 am GMT
I missed the word "deny" too. But my point still holds.
ola   Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:24 am GMT
French language sounds ugly.Portuguese too.Spanish,Italian,Brazil Portuguese ,Cabo verdean Portuguese (Cesaria Evora's language)sounds very nice.
guapo   Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:11 pm GMT
But of course it is! So much of the lexicon and grammar comes from Latin. If you look at any sentence, it's quite often the case that there's more Latin lexicon than there is Anglo-Saxon. Why try to deny something that's quite blatantly staring you in the face?

Dear Caspian, I thought you were a bit more educated and smart. How can you say that the English grammar comes from Latin???? 40% of English vocabolary derives from Latin but despite of that English still remains a GErmanic language! Its syntax is perfectly germanic, you can compare it with Swedish or Danish.