how to construct this sentence

Krishna Varma   Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:47 am GMT
Desire is storm, greed is whirlpool, pride is precipice, attachment an avalanche, and egoism is a volcano, Keep them away so that when you recite the name of God or do meditation, they do not disturb the equanimity.”

I shal highly thankful if anyone of you can help me to make a sentence out of so many phrases.

Thanking you very much.
With love and regards,
Krishna
Guest   Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:50 pm GMT
"Desire is a storm, greed is a whirlpool, pride is a precipice, attachment an avalanche and egoism is a volcano. Keep them from your thoughts so that when you recite the name of God or meditate, they do not disturb your equanimity."

I would change attachment. Attachment is too vague, it simply means 'joined' and can be used for romance between two people, or to descibe an extra payment, or two pieces of wood nailed together. The rest of the sentence is very poetic and 'attachment' doesn't fit.
Kate   Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:13 am GMT
I would change it slightly from the above sentence to read, "Desire is a storm. Greed is a whirlpool. Pride is a precipice. Attachment is an avalanche and egoism, a volcano. Keep these things away so that when you recite the name of God or meditate, equanimity is not disturbed." Guest's way is also correct, it's just a matter of preference. Personally I prefer it this way but the other way is fine too. I also think attachment sounds fine in the sentence. You could change it to make it less vague if you want to, but I think it's ok the way it is.
Brennus   Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:42 am GMT
Krishna Varma,

I have a problem with the word "equanimity". Unless you feel you absolutely must use the word, any number of simpler substitutes like 'peace and calm', 'bliss', 'harmony' or 'tranquility' might be better in my opinion.
suganya   Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:56 am GMT
suganya_tiya@yahoo.com,suganya_diya@krify.com,ragajeevitha@yahoo.co.in
swati   Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:07 pm GMT
if a person is very clever and has got answer for everything .
and i want ta say no one can win from you in talking.
tell me the correct way to frame this sentence
Claude   Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:26 pm GMT
About what about the name of God ? And how can we and should we recite it ?

Thanks for your respectful answers. I have got in mind of course the respect due to the name of God, who deserve to receive it.

Thanks. Claude.
almaz   Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:50 am GMT
I want to form simple sents with less that 16 words

and also compound complex sentence with less than 20 words