equitorial guinea

chico   Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:11 pm GMT
hi all,

i was wondering if anyone knows how much spanish is actually spoken in the everyday life of equitorial guinea or is it just a language on paper.

my wife and i have done mission work in latin america. we are currently considering africa. i speak spanish fairly fluently and was wondering if i were to go to this country would i be able to use spanish exclusively.

can i preach in spanish and expect it to be understood, etc. thanks for the info.

chico
Guest   Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:24 pm GMT
EQ is already Christian. Why don't you consider to preach in a Muslim African country?
Guest2   Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:39 pm GMT
You could preach in China. Maybe with a strike of luck you could get martyrized as well.
J.C.   Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:47 pm GMT
@ Chico:

Preaching in poor countries is easy. I suggest you to come to Japan, where one can preach any religion freely but people are too materialistic to believe in God. In Japan less than 1% of population is christian.

Dios te bendiga!!
Guest   Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:49 pm GMT
I doubt materialism and Christianism are incompatible. USA is the Mecca of materialism yet many of them are rabid Christians.
chico   Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:37 pm GMT
i should have know that i would start a controversy but would anyone care to ditch the personal remarks and answer my question. i would appreciate it.

let me rephrase it. religous usage or not, how much is spanish really spoken in equitorial guinea. and i said nothing about starting a church or anything else. there are many aspects of mission work, not the least of which is starting orphanages.

chico
JGreco   Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:15 pm GMT
Nearly everybody speaks Spanish in Equatorial Guinea alongside their regional African languages such as Fang. The Majority of the media in the country is in Spanish so you will be fine speaking Spanish there.
dinbra   Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 am GMT
They speak Portuguese on AnoBom, not Spanish. That's why Portuguese got co-official in this oil-rich country,
Poliglob   Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:19 pm GMT
Please note the spelling of the name -- 'Equatorial Africa' (actually a misnomer because none of the national territory lies on the equator). Wikipedia confirms what JGreco said, "The great majority of Equatorial Guineans speak Spanish, especially those living in the capital, Malabo." Missionaries, though, often work with people on the fringes of society, and they may be less likely to speak the national language.