European language?

Hopeful   Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:38 pm GMT
ehat do you think shall be the European language?
I don't think it's fair to use English, but I don't think it's fair to use Latin either
Do the language have to belong to one people or some few groups? Bcs Esperanto is mostly based on Romance Languages
eito(jpn)   Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:47 pm GMT
>>I don't think it's fair to use English, but I don't think it's fair to use Latin either<<

It's not fair to use only one language exclusively, whatever it may be. Let's give peaceful coexistence a chance!
Sander   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:00 pm GMT
There will never be a European language.But there might be (a) dominant language(s).

Latin? No, nobody is going use that language anymore, science excluded.

Esperanto? Esperanto was a dream.It had a chance, right before and after WW2 for example but lost against English.

English? Maybe, but it is not usefull when considering it's possition in Europe only 2 nations speak English and both of them are Islands.

French? That language lost it's grip and dominance in the 19th century.I'm pretty sure it will never recover (In the way that it'll become the Lingua Franca of the world).It could still prove to be a valuable connextion to the south of Europe and Africa though (Just like English btw).

Spanish? That's a language that might have a lot of speakers in the Southern hemisphere but is not important at all in Europe.Although the language is simple and easy to learn it just hasn't got enough native speakers - In Europe -.

German? German is probably the best choice.Although the language is difficult to learn it's central position and enormous amount of speakers make it very powerful.

But like I said there's never going to be 1 language.

I've created a plan idea though.Based on Indo European.

Every indoeuropean language speaker learns 2 constructed languages.Based outside of his or her own language group.Together with his/her own language.

So;

Germanic speaker:
* constructed Romance language
* constructed Slavic language
Romance speaker:
* constructed Germanic language
* constructed Slavic language
Slavic speaker:
* constructed Romance language
* constructed Germanic language

That way these people can ALWAYS communicate with eatchother.
NINJA   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:08 pm GMT
Spanish should be the pan-European language. Spain is in mainland Europe, not like the UK & Eire. The English will never concede that others are equal to them, they will always have a superiority complex about their 'gift' to the world, English. The Spanish at one time were world citizens and their language spread before the age of industrialization. Spanish is a language for all Europeans to learn and aspire to be like...
Guest   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:13 pm GMT
NINJA wrote: =>The English will never concede that others are equal to them, they will always have a superiority complex about their 'gift' to the world, English<=

The same NINJA wrote:

=>Spanish is a language for all Europeans to learn and aspire to be like... <=

Hint to NINJA, don't make a fool of yourself like you've done above.
tu   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:30 pm GMT
"Although the language is simple and easy to learn it "

Do you know spanish, sander?. Learn spanish and then we´ll talk about it.
Sander   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:30 pm GMT
I don't have to learn Spanish to know it has easy grammer and pronounciation.
eito(jpn)   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:42 pm GMT
Easy grammar? Is that so?
Tiffany   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:45 pm GMT
Are you the same NINJA that wrote over in the Languages forum that Spanish is unimportant, eclipsed by English, French, German and Italian? What a change of heart...
Guest   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:50 pm GMT
eito(jpn),

=>Easy grammar? Is that so? <=

Yes, comparatively.
tu   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:55 pm GMT
Easy grammer.
English, sweden, danish, norwegian.........

you are talking through your hat
eito(jpn)   Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:02 pm GMT
Maybe Spanish is something like <puedo,puedes,puede,podemos,podeis,pueden>? This feature is clearly difficult. Don't you think so?
Sander   Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:02 pm GMT
tu,

You're obviously not a linguist probably just a kid looking for people to impress with the difficulty of her language.However facts weigh more than your nationalistic opinion.

bye.
Sander   Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:06 pm GMT
=>Don't you think so? <=

I'm not talking about irregular verbs.
eito(jpn)   Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:16 pm GMT
>>I'm not talking about irregular verbs.<<

That's my line, Sander. I don't think the verb "poder" is irregular.