what are your reasons for wanting a perfect accent

yeltsin   Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:33 pm GMT
Just wondering if you could give your reasons for wanting a perfect native accent. The thing is I can't understand what the point is if you're not a TV presenter or anything (and even then you could probably get around it). To me it seems a huge amount of effort for little purpose and thus I am happy with a slight but still recognisable accent. Yes it sounds like a cop-out, probably is to an extent, but it seems to me a very realistic and sensible cop-out, at least in my own personal circumstances.

BTW , I'm not trying to discourage people from going for it, nor am I trying to ridicule those people who do want a native accent, but I am just interested to know the driving reasons behind your efforts. Also, don't turn this into a discussion about whether or not it is possible to do it. There is another thread for that.

Thanks
Johnny   Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 pm GMT
<<...wanting a perfect native accent.>>

What is a perfect native accent? Southern? Cockney? Scottish? Californian?
There's no point in getting a native accent if your goal is to understand and be understood. In that case, you can neglect all the differences between British and American English, phonetics, dialects, etc.
If you are not content with that though, and you like to learn as much as possible about English, then you can start to learn more advanced stuff, accents and dialects included. So, learners who are interested in a certain accent are often interested in a lot of other advanced things, including some of the other major accents.

Learners who are only interested in one particular accent are actually making a big mistake and wasting time, unless they live or plan to move to a specific area in an English speaking country.
Uriel   Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 am GMT
Accents are cute. They give you character. You're better off keeping 'em.
Entbark   Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:34 pm GMT
For me, it's the challenge. If I go somewhere, it's interesting to see if I can fool the natives into thinking I am a native as well.
Guest   Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:04 pm GMT
For me, it's the challenge. If I go somewhere, it's interesting to see if I can fool the natives into thinking I am a native as well.

That's impossible. I would prefer to start learning another language rathern than wasting my efforts in that.
an ass   Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:41 pm GMT
"For me, it's the challenge. If I go somewhere, it's interesting to see if I can fool the natives into thinking I am a native as well."

According to what you wrote I doubt you could.
Entbark   Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:58 pm GMT
No, it's not impossible. Yes, it takes work, but that does not make it impossible.
Danilo   Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:22 pm GMT
To Talk with a foreign that has a strong accent is terrible!
The question is "what reasons for wanting a perfect native accent?"
To speak with a pronunciation understandable and pleasant (not necessarily without accent)
pearlyriver   Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:47 am GMT
i'm living in Australia and I find that there is a number of Aussies make fun of foreigners' accent. That dismays me a lot so i make a determination to improve my accent, though i don't hope i can perfect it.