"Tea" in English

Uriel   Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:49 am GMT
<<Ok. Has the underlying reason something to do with the fact that the pronunciation in this case is rather akin to the French 'herbe', meaning grass?>>

I bet not. I bet it has more to do with the fact that some H-dropping British speakers brought it over way back when and it simply caught on here, while H-dropping became stigmatized back home. I mean, I would believe that before I would believe that there was some direct French influence that happened in America but not in England -- usually the trend is the other way around! And H-dropping is documented in some British dialects. Why look farther afield for an explanation?
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:08 am GMT
TEA! In the UK a cup of tea is regarded as the panacea of all ills and the saviour of the soul - the first thing British peope do when confronted with any kind of upset or problem which requires sorting out, or when any kind of issue has just been sorted out, or when coming indoors again after doing whatever it is you've done in the great outdoors - or whatever else that has occupied you at any given time of the day (or night - tea doesn't recognise time) is to switch on the kettle. The kettle is one of the most vital of accoutrements in the British kitchen - it is sacrosanct.

Of course there are people who'd rather reach for the brandy or gin or voddie bottle in times of upset or distress but that's a different story altogether..here we are concerned only about Britain's national drink, and, most important of all, how to properly make a cup of tea - or mug in the case of most people.

For speed and convenience most peope use teabags...only a few people bother with loose tea - for instance, one of my grannies still does, bless her - for her tea making is a formal ritual carried out with care and precision, and her bloody kettle always seems to be on the boil. It's a wonder she didn't die from tannin poisoning years ago.

Loose tea and teapots are all so time consuming (and for most people time is precious) and it's always a wee bit of a problem disposing of the soggy mess of wet tealeaves from the teapot afterwards. Most Brits have a proper teapot but they seem to be just for decorative purposes - standing quietly in some corner of the kitchen, acting solely as some kind of symbol of calmness and consolation in a world of confusion and disarray, and ever ready to be used in the event of some change of heart in the art of British teamaking by the official teamaker in the household - which pretty much includes everyone.

It's all quite simple really -

1 Empty any remaining water out of the kettle and then replace with cold, fresh water. Switch on.

2 Take out your fave mug - I have a whole range of them - most with slogans or logos of various kinds. Warm the mug with previously boiled water.

3 When kettle is close to boiling empty mug of water and chuck in a tea bag. Then wait for kettle to boil completely and it switches itself off.

4 Immediately - stress - immediately! - pour in boiling water into mug, up to about 3/4 of capacity.

5 Slosh around in the mug with a tea spoon until the required strength has been achieved.

6 It is then up to you whether you fish out the soggy teabag before you add milk or afterwards (assuming you take milk, as most peope do - my grandad has his black - no milk - but he always was weird). Milk beforehand is easier because then you an see from the colour of the brew whether or not it is strong, or weak, enough. I like strong tea - if the spoon can stand upright on its own in it then it's just right.

7 Add required amount of sugar or sweetener.

8 Stir well

9 Chuck disgusting soggy teabag in the waste unit.

10 Sit down and enjoy the steaming brew along with some tasty Scottish shortbread and watch Scotland hammer the hell our of England down at Twickenham. If you don't like tea then a can will do just fine.

This bloke has the right idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSF6MHsEJZ4&feature=related

PS: I actually prefer coffee but don't tell anyone.......and the Queen prefers Earl Grey apparently - and drinks Malvern water. Aaw..bless her!
Andy in Kent   Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:31 pm GMT
Hey, I was with you all the way Damien (including the Scottish shortbread) until you mentioned the rugby. I'd probably require several mugs of tea to cope with Scotland beating us at Twickenham.

Do you like the way I say "us" like I'm on the field?.

I believe I've finally mastered the rushing-the-teabag-to-the-bin-without-dripping-hot-tea-on-the-floor-or-bin-lid dance. I refuse to buy a teabag bin, some teabags wont squeeze dry against the side of the mug and my bin is too far from the kettle.
Uriel   Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:57 pm GMT
Well, I have a simpler method:

1. Put tea bag in mug

2. Fill with water. Temperature is not important. Whatever comes out of the tap.

3. Put mug in microwave. Close door. Punch in two or three minutes on the keypad.

4. Go do something else until it beeps.

5. Take steaming mug of tea out of the microwave, season to taste, drink.

6. When tea is all gone, squish the last drops out of the tea bag with spoon or tongue. (Don't try this with black tea -- too strong and bitter. But a well-steeped herbal tea bag is pretty tasty at this point.)

7. Tear tea bag open and deposit insides on potted plant. See? No drips!
Yasmin   Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:57 pm GMT
Thank you all.

I also wonder if this game is still being played in UK (or US)?

"There is an action game for very small children.
One arm is held out straight (the spout)
and the other is bent
so that the hand is on the hip (the handle).
Then the child recites:
I'm a little tea-pot, short and stout.
Here's my handle. Here's my spout.
Do you want a cup of tea?
Tip me up and pour me out!"
Caspian   Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:12 pm GMT
Yes, that is done in the UK!

<< I also wonder if this game is still being played in UK (or US)?

"There is an action game for very small children.
One arm is held out straight (the spout)
and the other is bent
so that the hand is on the hip (the handle).
Then the child recites:
Do you want a cup of tea?
Tip me up and pour me out!" >>
Andy in Kent   Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
I'm in the UK but I think I learnt a slightly different version. From my faint memories the "Do you want a cup of tea?" line was different. Something like

When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
"Tip me over and pour me out!"
Caspian   Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:45 pm GMT
You know, from my faint memories it's different from either of the above - I just can't remember what it was!
Uriel   Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:58 pm GMT
Yeah, we have something like that in the US, too. Don't remember the precise words.

Supposedly nursery rhymes are highly conserved -- they don't change much over the years. Something to do with children insisting on rote repetition and regular forms.
User   Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:34 am GMT
I am an American and the version I'm familiar with is the one "Andy in Kent" posted.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:26 am GMT
I like a nice cup of tea in the morning
For to start the day you see
And at half-past eleven
Well my idea of Heaven
Is a nice cup of tea
I like a nice cup of tea with my dinner
And a nice cup of tea with my tea
And when it's time for bed
There's a lot to be said
For a nice cup of tea

As I said - a cup of tea (popularly known as a cuppa) in the UK is some kind of miraculous remedy for traumas of all kinds. A bolt of lightning blows your roof to smithereens and the ceiling falls in. The first thing to be done is to switch on the kettle.

My experience of working in British offices (the only ones I've worked in as it happens) is that the first thing many people do when they arrive in the office early in the morning is to switch on the kettle and have a cuppa - it's very much a female thing - it's nearly always a lassie that switches on the kettle - very rarely a laddie. So a gossip over a cuppa before the real work of the day gets going is what turns the wheels of the average British working day.

*Tea - not so much the drink but the sort of mid afernoon "meal" of tea with shortbread or cakes or a salmon and cucumber sarnie or scones and strawberry jam and whipped cream...tea time in the UK.
yasmin   Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:32 pm GMT
Hi!

Google gives me :
268.000 hits for "four o'clock tea" and
297.000 hits for "five o'clock tea".

What's that about? I always thought teatime is five o'clock.
Bob   Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:05 am GMT
I sound a bit strine but this is my best English "tea" accent:

http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/8018458/file.html
Jago   Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:46 am GMT
@ Bob - You sound more Australian!
I've drunk tea with Australians though so you're safe!
Andy   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:19 am GMT
Is the guy who voices Stewie Griffin in Family Guy really American?. I assumed he was a Brit.