Does English sound like other Germanic languages?

Leasnam   Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:54 pm GMT
<<Furthermore you use Germanic words like frempt or leid, words that are rather frempt to native English speakers, whereas a German speaker doesn't need to look into a dictionary to just guess their meaning. >>

lol, I like you.

You're correct that overall German is more conservative (Grammar, Lexis, etc), but we're discussing how it *sounds*. And a Norwegian, regardless of how well or how bad they speak English, *sounds* more like a native English speaker. We have a more similar natural *accent* in common with the Dutch and with Scandinavians. A German always seems to have such a thick accent that never ever goes away, no matter how long they've been speaking English.
Vinlander   Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:33 pm GMT
IF were talking about how it sounds I think i'd agree. Calling german German, is like calling Italien latin, it's a bonkers idea. When people think about german all they think is // Z's V's and D's. These traits are ungermanic. The sounds that i think are germanics are Th's, ch sounds like in loch, dutch is full of them, and sk like in skate ski skin skeet scrape. nordic langues all use sk alot as well.
Fitzgerald   Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:40 pm GMT
"Just compare dutch and german you hear some fundamental strange ness that german has."
Vinlander, you're quite funny, and I recognize some fundamental strangeness that your posts have. ;-)

"lol, I like you."
..although being German girl?

"You're correct that overall German is more conservative (Grammar, Lexis, etc), but we're discussing how it *sounds*."
There is a German saying: Das eine bedingt das andere.

"We have a more similar natural *accent* in common with the Dutch and with Scandinavians."
Actually not. You're probably right that soundwise Germans have more problems with English, but yet, they generally have less problems with the pronounciation of Dutch or any of the Scandinavian languages than most speakers of English.

Here's just a funny example. A Norwegian (whose English is quite good;) is explaining the differences in pronounciation between English and Norwegian, however, those words are soundwise more similar to German.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJCK_KYSXMM&feature=related
Vinlander   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:07 pm GMT
As far as how i spell stfu I got nerve damage in my left arm it fucking hurts just to type so i'm a little distracted okay.

I'm going to have to say i agree that there pronouncation is very different when it comes to Vowels(which in my mind are easy to change,) and in recent times our consonants have become much more suttle( mostly due to american broadcasting).

However you still having disputed my V's D's and Z's comments
Fitzgerald   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:20 pm GMT
Oh, sorry. As for this V, D and Z matter, this could as well be applied to the Scandinavian languages. Does this make them sound ungermanic?

By the way, I did not meant your spelling, but anyway, get well soon!
again   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:22 pm GMT
oops
I did not mean...
me   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:26 pm GMT
<<"lol, I like you."
..although being German girl?
>>

Are you really a girl?
Fitzgerald   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:32 pm GMT
uh no, I'm a woman, actually. I assume my user name rather sounds male to you.
me again   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:40 pm GMT
yeah, I thought you were a dude...

so, bist du verheiratet oder :) ?
Fitzgerald   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:45 pm GMT
nee, nur verliebt ;-)
blurb   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:22 am GMT
Is what I've written completely irrelevant? It's very noteworthy. Somebody PLEASE comment on those posts at the end of page 22.

shime
swoft
shrade
smean
swile
brecken
dright
nout
insnead
sneither
swound
drog
coum

I believe this is proof that English definitely sounds Germanic. I'm just trying to demonstrate that it also can sound like German.

"You're correct that overall German is more conservative (Grammar, Lexis, etc), but we're discussing how it *sounds*. And a Norwegian, regardless of how well or how bad they speak English, *sounds* more like a native English speaker. We have a more similar natural *accent* in common with the Dutch and with Scandinavians. A German always seems to have such a thick accent that never ever goes away, no matter how long they've been speaking English."

It depends on if you're talking about Canada and the United States or England. I agree the first accents sound more Scandinavian.
blurb   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:55 am GMT
stime
smeak
strean
darm
freet
sworst
drust
swood
streer
shrould
nuch
sten

You have to admit these sound German, even though I know that's not the topic, I just think this should be taken into consideration.
Vinlander   Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:51 pm GMT
Here my simple question lets compare the music. German is a thick languge for singing yet for some reason Swedish isn't just the same as english.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E81BptgAnj8&feature=PlayList&p=304253DB6188B3C6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

listen to this and tell me german could sound so normal..
Vinlander   Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:52 pm GMT
Here my simple question lets compare the music. German is a thick languge for singing yet for some reason Swedish isn't just the same as english.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E81BptgAnj8&feature=PlayList&p=304253DB6188B3C6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

listen to this and tell me german could sound so normal..
Leasnam   Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:43 pm GMT
<<You have to admit these sound German, even though I know that's not the topic, I just think this should be taken into consideration. >>

Those words sound English. And of course, many English words sound like German words, that's a given, being they are related leids.