Does English sound like other Germanic languages?

blurb   Fri May 01, 2009 7:08 pm GMT
That, of course, is fake English.
@blurb   Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 pm GMT
Interesting clip. But I don't get it. That was supposed to be English?
blurb   Fri May 01, 2009 10:07 pm GMT
Well, yeah, that's fake English. They're imitating how English sounds to them.
blurb   Fri May 01, 2009 10:15 pm GMT
Out of all the things I've read about how English sounds, nobody mentioned how hilarious English sounds! Doesn't that sound hilarious?
blurb   Fri May 01, 2009 10:22 pm GMT
Based on this, if I had to define the language using one word, it would be "hilarious." To be on topic, though, I think this sounds almost exactly like Dutch, maybe with some Swedish influence. - And that would make sense.
blurb   Fri May 01, 2009 10:24 pm GMT
... not to discount the Latinate side.
gurest   Sat May 02, 2009 12:10 am GMT
The "fake english" link is very interesting. As a non-english speaker I must say it sounds exactly to me like real english. I needed a few seconds listening attentively to realise that it wasn't english.

I think for english-speaker it is a good way to understand how English sounds when your not a native speaker, because they would hear typical english sounds and rythms without being disturbed by the meanings, and so can hear how it sounds to other peoples.

Actually for me it doesn't sounds appart from the other germanic languages.
melvis   Sat May 02, 2009 3:07 pm GMT
<<The "fake english" link is very interesting. As a non-english speaker I must say it sounds exactly to me like real english. I needed a few seconds listening attentively to realise that it wasn't english.>>

If that's supposed to be fake English, it sounds like fake English with some sort of foreign accent. Perhaps a reading of some of the "Alice in Wonderland" fake English passages by a native speaker would be even more more convincing?
Swede   Sat May 02, 2009 4:16 pm GMT
I also think it sounds exactly like (American) English.
B   Sun May 03, 2009 4:20 am GMT
It sounds more like a Scandinavian speaking English.
blurb   Fri May 08, 2009 9:39 pm GMT
Could somebody who isn't a native speaker of English please write a sentence or two using all made-up words that sound like English did before you spoke it?
Blaine   Fri May 08, 2009 10:28 pm GMT
Brak Strak hahnding
Splitekt de fornie sumdin Bornding
Sto meik mie raund den Kahzing
Streit no bess wahn bakk
Inglisch   Sat May 09, 2009 1:24 am GMT
Duhd dats zo kuhl. Wie schibbie schibbie. hammersetzen nahmde kanungen bedda Stanuniugen fratzen kamden fragen kunde stelte. Wierunde kaming kalingas. Petrolik sievorickte ziaengen tratzen. Bouken mackiegaz traueling. Rumping kimping gatzen. Mookas braukas anfeor va triggen. Scheckie schlockie grauben. Moopen slooken bierucken. Duhd das so ahsan. Schibbie.
blurb   Sat May 09, 2009 1:44 am GMT
Well, thanks a lot for the answers.

"Duhd dats zo kuhl. Wie schibbie schibbie. hammersetzen nahmde kanungen bedda Stanuniugen fratzen kamden fragen kunde stelte. Wierunde kaming kalingas. Petrolik sievorickte ziaengen tratzen. Bouken mackiegaz traueling. Rumping kimping gatzen. Mookas braukas anfeor va triggen. Scheckie schlockie grauben. Moopen slooken bierucken. Duhd das so ahsan. Schibbie."

Is this really how it sounds? I'm sorry, but it's kind of odd. The thing is, I can believe it sounds like German, but you're using typical German combinations of letters that aren't found in English, like the "sch" and "tz," and some other things.
Duude   Sat May 09, 2009 3:02 am GMT
Looks like you learned all your English from watching the movie "Dude, where's my car".