English in the future

Uriel   Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:44 am GMT
<<overcome = get over. remove = take away, inflate = blow up, leave = go away, arrive = get there/here, return, get/come back, assemble=set up, dismantle = take apart.>>

Aren't most of those just latinate terms and their Anglo-Saxon counterparts?

Nor are any of these terms or phrases in any way new -- all are plain English and have been in use for centuries, in every country that speaks English.

Nor can I see any evidence backing up the claim that these are the product of the idea that "a certain culture (*not* the race, but a certain culture) has a version of english from their uneducated roots ad lazy pronounciation". Unless you're referring to all those pre-Norman Brits, I guess.

And what is wrong with phrasal verbs, anyway? The language allows them and has always been full of them. How are they inferior to single word terms? And why would using multiple words in place of single words be a sign of "laziness"? Seems like the opposite would make a better argument!
retard   Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:30 am GMT
<<
Aren't most of those just latinate terms and their Anglo-Saxon counterparts?

Nor are any of these terms or phrases in any way new -- all are plain English and have been in use for centuries, in every country that speaks English.>>

But don't you agree that they seem to be increasingly preferred over their one-word counterparts? It seems the one-word version is getting pushed in the formal direction while the phrasal version encompasses a wider range of use than before.

I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, nor that these words are new, it's the usage which I think is changing.

Remember this thread is about how English will be in the future, for better or for worse. Please try and keep it objective.
Uriel   Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:44 am GMT
No, I don't think it's a new trend, or that one-word terms are going anywhere. I think they've always existed side by side and been used the same way.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:24 am GMT
Aoow moy gawd! - eyetch droppin'! It's wot thy do in Landun, innit? Oy mean, wots noisah van to gaw up ta 'Ampstead 'Eef of a foin Sanday arftahnoon an' 'av a bit of a strahwl acrorss tha lav'ly medahs an' look dahan on va city lide aht before ya? Oi lav 'Ampstead 'Eef - it s great, mate!

Cockneyspeak as was in which H dropping was compulsory, as was the use of V for an F and likewise a TH - but now it's been transformed into a new kind of communication called Estuaryspeak, and even though Hs are still being dropped left right and centre so are Ts - big time - and from the top of 'Ampstead 'Eef you can see right across Norf Landun to Bah'uh'see (aka Battersea).

Of course, a lot of Londoners call it 'Appy 'Ampstead 'Eef because there are all possible kinds of fun to be had up there - and I mean all possible kinds of fun! - it all depends on taste! - a mixture of open meadows and heathland and fairly dense woodlands interspersed with copses and dells and wee shaded and secluded glades - and 'Ampstead 'Eef (oops - sorry - I mean Hampstead Heath) is the most elevated part of the Greater London area, and sometimes called London's Playground.

All this doesn't apply to the people who actually live in Hampstead itself though, or Hampstead Garden Suburb or nearby Highgate - Oh God no! - they are far too posh to drop Hs or Ts or turn Vs into Fs and all that kind of caper. No way! That's only for people who come from 'Ammersmith or 'Olloway or 'Ounslow or Camden Tahn.....

http://www.urban75.org/london/hampstead.html

There are some English people with a tendency to drop Hs who have a desire to rectify this shortcoming by doing something about it, but they get confused, poor wee things. Instead of re-inserting the H in its correct place, they mistakenly place it in front of the wrong word instead - one that begins with a vowel, so that they say something like "Hoim hevvah to sorry for moi mistike, mate!"

Not a bad downmarket London accent for a Scot is it? Especially at this unearthly hour of a Sunday morning after a night before. Oim quite prahd o' meself....
HeHe   Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:33 pm GMT
<<, and a certain culture (*not* the race, but a certain culture) has a version of English from their uneducated roots ad lazy pronunciation,>>

You mean the Americans?
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:33 pm GMT
Haha, could be Americans lol.

But I was referring to within America.