to learn by themselves

Kate Blanc   Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:36 pm GMT
Hi, I would like to know how to translate ''imparare una lingua (da soli)''
is ''to learn a language by themselves'' ok?

If ''Everyone has their right'' is ok, then I think
''Everyone can learn a language by themselves'' should be ok too.
What do you think?

Why is that Italian (and English) like these plural impersonal forms?
Robin Michael   Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:38 pm GMT
This is a Forum for English and I cannot comment on Italian. Often a direct translation from another language sounds a little unusual. Even if it is grammatically correct, it is not the usual way that British people express themselves.

''to learn a language by themselves''

''Everyone can learn a language by themselves''

To suggest that because one expression is correct, that another expression should also be correct, ignores the idiomatic nature of language. Certain expressions have a widespread currency even though they might not be grammatical correct or even make sense in the literal sense.

My partner is Polish, and often when she is struggling to say something, I ask her to break out of her self imposed rules, and think of another way of expressing what she want to say, in English.

<<to learn a language by yourself>>

The moment you start to concentrate on expressing ideas, you start think about how to express those ideas clearly. If you think about it, most people learn a language to communicate with other people. So, to learn a language on your own would be foolish. That does not mean that you have to learn a language in a Classroom.
Robin Michael   Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:51 pm GMT
Can a computer following rules successful translate from one language to another?

diction: word choice, individual words

denotation: literal sense of a word, dictionary definition

connotation: the implied meaning or feel that a word may have acquired
paraphrase putting a poem into our own words

syntax: the order of words in a sentence

tone: the manner of speaking, or the inferred attitude
of the speaker
Caspian   Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:49 pm GMT
Kate, in inglese, si dice

To learn a language by oneself

O

To learn a language by yourself
Kate Blanc   Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:39 pm GMT
I thought ONESELF and ONE (as in One speaks) were too formal.
Caspian   Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:43 pm GMT
It's quite formal - it depends on the context. It sounds OK to me here - but I think 'one' is used more in Britain.