Any fans of 'allo allo' in Antimoon land?

Robin Michael   Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:34 pm GMT
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:15 pm GMT
This series is still being shown on one of the Freeview Channels...not sure which...maybe 10...check them out. I sometimes see it on when flicking through the channels with my handset. 'Allo 'Allo was first shown many yonks ago...in the 1970s maybe.....again check it out, and since then many of the stock phrases have passed into everyday use...like the English women spy with her "Listen vairy carefully...I vill say zis only vonce!" Now and again someone will say it just like that when trying to explain something to someone they think may just about be one penny short of a quid.

My fave character is the British spy pretending to be a French police officer, played by Arthur Bostrom. The beauty of that program is that all the actors are British, and play different nationalities (German, French, Italian and - of course - the English) and adapt their English Language speech to fit the nationals they are portraying. The British female spy is using an exaggerated French accent to signify the fact that she is speaking in French, as do the rest of them, such as Rene and his wife, but when she meets - in secret and hidden well away from the Germans naturally - her British compatriots she speaks exaggeratedly posh English English RP.

Amazingly a German version of "'Allo! 'Allo" is to be shown on German TV, so it's true - the Germans really do have a sense of humour, and it's good to know that the character of Europe now bears no similarity at all with that of the past.

It's all very clever they way they did it.
Minnesota   Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:18 pm GMT
I like the phrase ''It is I, LeClerc'' ;)
Minnesota   Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:20 pm GMT
"Listen vairy carefully...I vill say zis only vonce!"

Michelle (from the Resistance bunch) used to say:

''Listn vairy carehfully, I SHALL say zis ony Wence'' ;)
Skippy   Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:29 pm GMT
Hilarious. They show it on PBS sometimes (at least the Dallas, TX affiliate, KERA, which was the first channel to show Monty Python in the United States).

"She hez been pissing bed chicks."
Robin Michael   Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:10 am GMT
The French Policeman in 'Allo allo' mispronouncing English

It is very clever to be able to delibrately mispronounce words for comic effect. Something that Ronnie Barker was able to do. It is a form of 'Spoonerism'.

A spoonerism is an error in speech or deliberate play on words in which corresponding consonants, vowels, or morphemes are switched.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism - 45k - Cached - Similar pages

Policeman: Gud Moaning
(Good Morning)

Outside your coffee was this bunch of diffadoels and dozies
(outside your cafe was this bunch of daffodils and daisies)

Pinned to them was a nit
(pinned to them was a note)

Pardon me if I love you but I have my dirty to do
(Pardon me if I leave you but I have my duty to do)

Spoonerisms

"Three cheers for our queer old dean!" (dear old queen, referring to Queen Victoria)

Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook by Shel Silverstein.

should be

Bunny Rabbit: A Silly Book

Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:28 pm GMT
Or like the eccentric old professor at Oxford admonshing one of his wayward students by telling him that he had "deliberately tasted two worms and I insist that you leave Oxford immediately by the town drain".

I adore copper Crabtree....for me his "pissing by the front door and dripping in" is the most memorable, but that was from a diferent perspective wasn't it? The program's way of highlighting total incompetence in the use of French by an Englishman cocking up the English Language.
Andy in Kent   Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:45 pm GMT
The Policeman was great. "I was pissing by the door when I heard two shats." etc...

Edith's "singing" was incredible. How did she sing so badly?.

The way Yvette said, "Ooooooh, Rene." still sounds sexy.

Who was the guy who said "clop"?
Laura Braun   Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:12 pm GMT
the problem is that if you listen in english your english can get worst , if you listen it translated in your own language after few series your own language could get even worst. So whatever. It's one of my favorite movies but I cannot see a profit in it. It's for fun may be.
Rabindranath   Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:57 pm GMT
“God respects me when I work, but He loves me when I sing.”
Tagore
12345   Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:24 am GMT
It's all subtitles here and allo allo is funny :). You just have to think the subtitles away, they make it less funny :(. Because you see the joke already while they haven't said it yet
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:06 am GMT
Laura...there's no "maybe" about it, sweetheart - of course it's "for fun"! That's the whole purpose of the "'Allo! 'Allo!" show - to make people laugh otherwise it's pointless.

It was set during a war, a time of great sadness and tragedy and immensely difficult times but in true British style the producers made a comedy out of it, and it really doesn't take anyone very long to realise that all the national characteristics involved were lampooned mercilessy, one no more than any other - French, German, Italian or British (well, English anyway - all of the British characters were portrayed as "posh" upper classs, rather stupid "silly twit" individuals not long out of Eton college).

The Germans were seen as either sinisterly militaristic in a comical way, the French as bumbling and over amorous in a faintly ridiculous Gallic manner and the lone Italian (an Army officer in a weird hat bedecked with black feathers and speaking in an equally exaggerated Italian accent) was always seen as pledging allegiance to either side according to the prevailing situation.

It was all about fun, naturally.

The British especially have always made light of hard times and tragic situations and turned them into comedy, and if there's a joke to be made out of it all then they'll do just that.
Robin Michael   Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:54 am GMT
I am inclined to agree with 'Laura Braun' that it is not a suitable television program for Learners of English as a Foreign Language. What is interesting are the national stereotypes. It deals with some quite difficult subjects: German Army Officers and later Gestapo Officers.

It also suggests that the Restaurant is a essentially a brothel with the waitresses performing a dual role.

But why it is not suitable, is that if you try to copy the accents, or even the expressions; you will end up doing something that is not right.

At the end of the day, it is a 'farce', with the Restaurant Manager trying to juggle actitities happening in different rooms.

Sometimes people use the expression 'french farce', which is to identify this form of comedy with France.

---A farce is a comedy written for the stage or film which aims to entertain the audience by means of unlikely, extravagant, and improbable situations, disguise and mistaken identity,----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farce
Laura Braun   Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:33 pm GMT
Damian, I know that it's for fun, but I learn a little broken english and even mine own language was getting worst. First if some kids are watching it, it could have a bad influence in moral aspect. Gays were shown in such aspect, two ladies were prostitutes, Rene is a cheater. Imagine if you have such a bad influence as a model of behavior. I mean , may be jokes were cool , but not appropriate for under aged people. As I analyze it's a sin to have such models of self identification. From the other side Brits have very nice sense of humour, which nobody's have. Especially in 14th episode, when I was watching it I had a feeling that there is nothing which is more fun than this.
Jalisse   Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:14 pm GMT
At least, in Allo Allo, they use the correct grammar IT IS I.
and not IT'S ME ;)