Female blokes?

Ed   Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:10 pm GMT
<<Really? I love being called 'mate'. In my area of Northern England, everyone calls each other 'love' (except men don't say it to each other - they only say 'mate'!) :) >>

I meant "bloke", not "mate"
Candy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:14 pm GMT
<<I meant "bloke", not "mate" >>

Oh, right....I tend to agree with you there.
Terry   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:55 pm GMT
<< I'd say 'blokette' for a woman or something similar! :) (Just kidding!)>>

LOL. I use the word "toadettes" for female toadies.
Terry   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:00 pm GMT
<<But Americans do say room-mate, house-mate, ship-mate etc with no meaning of sexual activity.......apart from maybe ship-mate those dirty buggers! >>

Now that you mention it. . . we do. Didn't even think of that, and you're right, with the possible exception of those dirty buggers, there's no sexual meaning attached. I guess my mind is in the gutter.

Liked your Canandian girl story.
Tiffany   Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:20 pm GMT
<<You're kidding! I had no idea—I always thought "mate" was one of those words that Americans/Canadians knew but never used. Like "bloody", if you told an American/Canadian to shut the bloody door, they wouldn't try and find the one that was covered in blood! >>

I don't know and I can't speak for all Americans, but personally, even though I don't use bloody every day, I know what it means. I can't remember a time when I didn't.
Adam   Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:34 pm GMT
I suppose "bloke" just means "guy", "chap". They are all slang words for "man."

Interestingly, the word "guy", the American slang term for "man", comes from a man called Guy Fawkes (real name Guido Fawkes) who was a Catholic who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament and King James 1st on 5th November 1605. He and his accomplices hid barrels of gunpowder in the cellar, but the assassination attempt failed.

Now, every 5th November, we commemorate by letting off fireworks and burning life-size Guy Fawkes dolls on bonfires.
Kate   Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:04 pm GMT
<<You're kidding! I had no idea—I always thought "mate" was one of those words that Americans/Canadians knew but never used. Like "bloody", if you told an American/Canadian to shut the bloody door, they wouldn't try and find the one that was covered in blood! >>

This might sound odd, but I think that if an American heard someone talking about his "mate," and he had a British accent, they would assume he was talking about his friend, but if he had an American accent, they would assume he was talking about his spouse/partner/lover. It's also not *that* common for Americans to call their spouse their 'mate,' but some people do. It's more common to talk about an animal having a mate, and you wouldn't say that you 'mated' with another person if you meant that the two of you had children (unless you were trying to be funny). You would get some odd looks for saying that you 'mated' with someone.
Uriel   Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:54 pm GMT
I know what "mate", "bloody" and "bloke" mean, I just don't use them. Nor do I call anybody "love".

The term I find silly these days is "partner". As in what you would call somebody's husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/casual sex toy/whatever, especially if you aren't really sure of their exact status or don't wish to specify it. My apologies to all of you who use it in that sense, but the only time *I* would ever have a partner is if I started rustling cattle.

I also have issues with the word "fiance". Look, either you're married or you're not. Until the ink is dry, they're just your girlfriend or boyfriend, for chrissakes! But people love to wave that word around as if it were some sort of "better" intermediary stage.
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:23 am GMT
I don't get it. What does rustling cattle have to do with having a partner?
Kate   Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:25 am GMT
<<What does rustling cattle have to do with having a partner?>>

Stereotypically, cowboys call everyone 'partner' (or 'pardner').
Ed   Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:13 am GMT
<<I also have issues with the word "fiance". Look, either you're married or you're not. Until the ink is dry, they're just your girlfriend or boyfriend, for chrissakes! But people love to wave that word around as if it were some sort of "better" intermediary stage. >>

Well, anyone coold be a boyfriend or girlfriend but fiance means the relationship is serious.
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:33 am GMT
<<Well, anyone coold be a boyfriend or girlfriend but fiance means the relationship is serious.>>

With impending marriage, often with a date set.
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:23 pm GMT
<<It's more common to talk about an animal having a mate, and you wouldn't say that you 'mated' with another person if you meant that the two of you had children (unless you were trying to be funny). You would get some odd looks for saying that you 'mated' with someone. >>

But then again, Kate, we use the term "humped" when we mate with someone and even "calfed" when we give birth. It's an animal kingdom thing.