What accent?

Johnny   Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:07 pm GMT
If a non-native speaker listens to more than one different varieties of English, what accent do you think they should have? Say, if someone listens to the CNN and BBC more or less equally, and doesn't plan to move to any English speaking country, which accent do you think they should pick up? Both? If so, wouldn't they interfere and you end up speaking in a weird mixed accent? Should they be able to switch from one to the other, but keep them separate?

I am facing that problem. Listening to other varieties different from the one I focused on so far causes me to pick up features of other dialects, but keeping them separate seems difficult to me. Maybe it's just a matter of practice? Is it worth it? Mixed accents are very weird and confusing though, so if you don't keep them separate, you might find yourself switching from posh English to Valley speak within the same sentence.
So what would you suggest? Thanks.
Robin Michael   Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:12 pm GMT
You have to make up your own mind. I would concentrate more on vocabulary and grammar, and on communication, than on your accent.

Can people understand what you say?

Can you say what you want to say?

Accents and dialects are about 'ingroups' and 'outgroups'.

Generally speaking 'educated people' do not have a noticable accent. There is also what they call a 'transatlantic accent', something in between American English and British English.

Some people find it easier to talk than others.

Personally I prefer to watch the BBC because I feel that the News on CNN is very superficial.
Kess   Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:33 pm GMT
''Generally speaking 'educated people' do not have a noticable accent. ''

I disagree. Everyone has an accent.
12345   Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:12 pm GMT
«Generally speaking 'educated people' do not have a noticable accent.»

That's nonsense to me. In the Netherlands most of the people are at least 'educated' and you can hear easily if someone's from the South, West, East or North. A very clear accent for the south, with their 'soft g'. The west with their 'r' and their very harsh 'g'. The north who tend shorten words so give it fewer syllables and at least in my region everything that ends on '-en'. The 'e' completely disappears. You can hear almost immediately if someones speaking to you, that person is or is not from here.
Sonia   Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:16 am GMT
I was faced with a similar problem a few months ago and I can tell you that making your mind on that one is really hard. I mostly watch British stuff but have a clear American accent for various reasons. At some point, you can become kind of "immune" to the variety of English you don't want to imitate, so that it doesn't interfere with your accent. However, you always run a risk when you listen to British English and are aiming for American English. My experience is that since I made up my mind, I fooled quite a few Brits/ non-native speakers of English/ even a couple of Americans into thinking I was American. So you really need to choose, otherwise you'll never be able to sound somewhat near-native. I love English accents and I wish I had one, but American English was just easier for me, so I'd say go for the easier option. I'm sure that deep down, you know what you want, but you're just afraid to make that choice and sacrifice your other option. Don't be :) Any type of English is good, as long as you're understood!
Uriel   Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:43 am GMT
I can't think of any educated Americans who have a "transatlantic" accent. Accents are regional, not based on schooling -- at least here.
Tatania   Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:10 pm GMT
Can you tell me the difference between New-York and Californian grammar??????????????? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
Jasper   Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:46 pm GMT
Uriel: "I can't think of any educated Americans who have a "transatlantic" accent."

I agree. The idea of an American RP has been passe since the end of World War II.

Even now, no high school or college teaches speech and diction to a student as a requirement. To learn it, the student has to go out of his way to take certain classes.