How easy is English?

Zoot   Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:18 pm GMT
I read a piece by a German Professor of English, where he talked about the idea that English is a very easy language. While he acknowledged that English is indeed very easy to learn at a basic level, he said that many people wrongly claim to be able to speak English properly, and that he, even after 40 years of studying the language, would not dare claim such a thing.

What do you think?
Suit   Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:42 pm GMT
I'm thinking about sex. Down boy, down!
Zoot   Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:22 pm GMT
Hmmm, I wonder if sex is easier in English than all those other languages...;)!

But any more sensible answers welcome
Blanche Mange   Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:50 pm GMT
My body is so sensible and is welcoming you Suit! Be the answer to my yearning!
Caspian   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:13 pm GMT
I reckon it's easy in English, yes - must be hard in Chinese, trying to remember all those tones at the moment critique!
Chew Mee   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:31 pm GMT
Yes, we Chinese womanhood always say: Remember, it must be hard or not worth trying! And if it lasts for a moment, you shall receive critique!
Caspian   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:40 pm GMT
Haha!!!
Zoot   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:53 pm GMT
Please people, all this sex aside lol, and yes I know there are lots of questions about which language is harder, but for a language supposedly so easy to have some one say they still can't speak it after 40 years, is quite something.

Sensible answers please!
Oui   Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:12 pm GMT
Let's just say that it's not easier than Spanish ;)
cnalbburger   Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 am GMT
Maybe I'm biased, but I found foreign languages an order of magnitude harder than English.

Maybe your professor was talking about accent elimination. I don't suppose getting a perfect native accent is any easier for English than for other languages?
Guest   Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:35 am GMT
How do you express an orgasm in English?
Sid Visious   Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:09 am GMT
<<How do you express an orgasm in English? >>

In French of course
le gay   Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:25 am GMT
^ If you're having gay sex.
Zoot   Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 pm GMT
>>Maybe your professor was talking about accent elimination. I don't suppose getting a perfect native accent is any easier for English than for other languages? <<

No, he was talking mainly about the vocabulary being derived from various languages, and how, say a Germanic and a French word can have a very similar meaning, but not identical.
pifflinger   Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:52 pm GMT
Aren't all languages (including English) difficult to master to a native level?

I can only imaging that it takes a lot longer than 40 years to completely master German, French, Chinese, etc. unless you do total immersion starting soon after birth.