The most studied languages

Schumacher   Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:10 pm GMT
I read that the most studied languages are English, Spanish, French, German, Chinese and Italian.

It is amazing that Italian is 6th in the World list of languages. It is only a language spoken by 65 million people in Italy.

It is also amazing that a lot of languages are not in the top 6, like Russian, Arabic, Japanese or Hindi.

Why?
CID   Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:15 pm GMT
I reckon it's because people "study" languages for personal enjoyment and fulfillment rather than for utility. It's like a pass-time for them.

What could be more satisfying than learning a beautiful language like Italian?
CommonAswhole   Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:15 pm GMT
Because many Arabs are muslims. We should in fact study Arabic and spread atheism there to a point Arab countries are force to censor their internet.
German User   Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:33 pm GMT
We can see that the 6 most spoken are: Chinese, English, Spanish, Hindi, Arabic and Russian.

However the 6 UNO languages are Chinese, English, Spanish, French, Arabic and Russian.

Finally, the most studied are English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Arabic and French.

It is very interesting that only Chinese, English and Spanish are in all the lists.
CommonAswhole   Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm GMT
Once oil runs out, Arabs will go back to camels and goats.
Guest   Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:29 am GMT
Italian is 5th because in 2008 passed German. Chinese is now 4th.
Kaka   Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:31 am GMT
>Once oil runs out, Arabs will go back to camels and goats. <
They'll be the only one to survive the global warming/desertification/whatever shit.
Arabic lover   Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:40 am GMT
If I had time and a "gorgeous" good teacher I'd start learning Arabic immediately! :-)
Bill Grates   Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:59 am GMT
It's very useful if you are Arabic or have Arabic family.
CommonAswhole   Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:49 pm GMT
I would love to learn Arabic, and as a louse pollute the language with kafir-elements. Muhahahahaha!
wtf   Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:12 pm GMT
<<If I had time and a "gorgeous" good teacher I'd start learning Arabic immediately! :-) >>

How would you tell if they're gorgeous or not? Can a clod of sheets with a couple of beady eyes poking out be gorgeous?
Guest   Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:40 am GMT
Yes because you play with your imagination and wonder if there is an incredible beauty inside those clothes.
Tufar   Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:22 am GMT
Only a few muslim countries require females to cover up like that. Turkey for example has a more liberal and tolerant tradition.
Sanskrit   Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:01 am GMT
Turkey for example has a more liberal and tolerant tradition.

Unfortunately I couldn't learn Arabic in Turkey :-)
Shoenmaker   Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:22 am GMT
I read that the 2 most studied languages are English and French. Spanish has to contend with German and Italian for 3rd place.