Which of these 2 languages do you prefer? French or Italian?

Paul N.   Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:11 pm GMT
Ciao Tiffany,

Buon Natale

Paul N.
Tiffany   Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:37 pm GMT
Anche a te!
Tiago   Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:14 am GMT
Italian so i can get it confused with Spanish and Portuguese and watch my brain blow up
latino   Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:30 am GMT
Grazie mille. Te lo saluterò ed anche a te saluto! (italian)

Mil gracias. Te lo saludo y aunque a ti te saludo! (spanish)

Da quanto tempo studi la lingua? (italian)

Por cuanto tiempo estudio la lengua (spanish)

"il", "la", "lo" and "le" as well as "l'(vowel)".

"el","la", "lo" and "las" as well as "los"
les and le for nouns...

Marito (italian.)

Marido (spanish)

Dove sta la gente intelettuale dentro qui? (Italian)

Donde esta la gente intelectual dentro aqui? (spanish)

YEAH, they're twined like...
Tiffany   Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:25 am GMT
Not that there aren't similarities, but why bring this up two thousand times?

<<Grazie mille. Te lo saluterò ed anche a te saluto! (italian) >>
Thank you very much. I will say hi to you and I say hi also to you.

This makes no sense. What were you trying to say?

<<
Da quanto tempo studi la lingua? (italian)

Por cuanto tiempo estudio la lengua (spanish) >>

It's a real giveaway that Spanish uses "por". Italian will only use the equivalent "per" when study has finished.

<<Marido (spanish) >>

Never heard this. I have always used esposo.

<<les and le for nouns... >>
What does that mean? I've never seen these in Spanish. Just the ones you wrote above.

<<Dove sta la gente intelettuale dentro qui? (Italian) >>

Sounds awkward with the "dentro qui". Use just qui.
Frank   Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:15 am GMT
For me, French is better. As regards similarity of Spanish and Italian, I guess it's not difficult to distinguish them. They have different intonations.
Latino   Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:25 am GMT
Tiffany Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:11 pm GMT
I'm not fluent, but I have been studying it for a bit longer :) Of course, having to talk to my relatives only helps. I'm not sure you have many chances to speak Italian outside of your classes (I assume you are taking classes). If not, find some if you can. It will help immeasurably.

I make mistakes just like the next person. The important thing is recognizing them and being concious to not make the same mistake twice (will happen though, don't kill yourself!). Ask me anything you want. I will try to answer it.

Mil gracias. Te saludare y tambien saludarte! (spanish)

I DON'T KNOW YOU LET ME KNOW, YOU WROTE IT I JUST TRANSLATED IT IN SPANISH; NONETHELESS.:D

Marido/esposo (both are used) like I mentioned before spanish uses a lot of subsitutes for words. both are used adequately.

Spanish nevertheless is twined like with Italian. And spanish possess's MORE classical latin terms along sided with vulgar terms.

Praise's to all
Tiffany   Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:48 am GMT
Latino,
My mistake, I did not remember it. However, taken out of context, I was confused because "lo", orginally refering to "him", was ambiguous to me and looked out of place (a native speaker might not have the same confusion). I don't think the Spanish translation is one-to-one. The Italian one meant, "I'll say hi to him for you and hello as well to you." Is the Spanish in future tense (the beginning part)?

I agree Spanish and Italian are related. I don't think many contest that. It just seems like that you like to restate your points -> Spanish is closer to Latin, Spanish and Italian are related. I think those are the two I notice the most.
Guest   Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:22 am GMT
"Spanish is closer to Latin"

wrong, it is sardinian
Natarvushu   Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:58 pm GMT
I definitely prefer Italian but I'm sure that I'll never be able to speak it even if I take courses on that beautiful language.I like French language but I dislike French people.French people are so megalomaniac that this feature makes me hate them.They must abandon this otherwise they will be out of worldwide love, I think.
Tiffany   Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:05 pm GMT
Ugh, I wish the stereotypes would just die!
Sander   Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:08 pm GMT
=>Ugh, I wish the stereotypes would just die! <=

The worst thing is that the people who make them, have probably never even seen (in this case) a French person ...
Latio   Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:34 am GMT
here are the corrections, oh... and no problem.:P

Mil gracias. Te lo saludaré y también saludarte! (spanish)

"I'll say hi to him for you and hello as well to you."

Yeah, spanish uses the future tense.

Classical latin is related to spanish on these terms

http://orbilat.com/Languages/Latin/Grammar/Latin-Pronunciation-Syllable-Accent.html

Phonology

Spanish has simplified the Vulgar Latin vocal system to only 5 open vowels (as in Classical Latin) -- a. e, i, o, u -- that are pronounced clearly and without reduction in both stressed and unstressed positions. The vowels, that are short in Classic Latin, diphthongate when stressed in Spanish (see the Occurrence of Diphthongs Replacing Stressed Short Vowels in Romance Languages), except for a, cf.:
Latino   Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:38 am GMT
Mil gracias. Te lo saludaré y también te saludo! (spanish)

"I'll say hi to him for you and hello as well to you." (english)

Tiffany   Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:11 am GMT
What was the point of that...?