Is the French language on the decline?

socorro   Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:25 pm GMT
Chinese is an ugly language. I'm not going to learn it.....
homer   Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:27 am GMT
<< Do these new figures mean that French is now mainly spoken in Africa? --just like English, Spanish, and Portuguese are now mainly spoken in the Americas. The home for all these great colonial languages has now moved away from Europe? >>

Good point.

Anyways, I'm wondering how long French will remain relevant in North Africa when Arabic is encouraged and English has become more common and likely will continue to do so? We all know what happens when you put English and French together in the same room - English always wins.

And visitor, not many people care about your precious Senegal and the other poverty ridden ex-French colonies that are the poorest in the world.
PARISIEN   Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:45 am GMT
"I'm wondering how long French will remain relevant in North Africa when Arabic is encouraged and English has become more common"

-- Indeed, Algerian authorities for over 40 years have done their best to eradicate French. And it's a complete failure. French is still expanding in North Africa. Why? I don't know.

"We all know what happens when you put English and French together in the same room - English always wins."

-- Like in Mauritius? LOL

"ex-French colonies that are the poorest in the world"

-- Poorest countries in the world are shitholes like Zimbabwe and Liberia.

All S.E. Asian economies are developing — except Philippines, which still is definitely third-world and is the only massively English speaking nation in the area.

An easy language (like English) is not necessarily a blessing. The more difficult are Asian languages, the more successful the countries that use them. Isn't that something worth thinking about?
blanche   Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:49 am GMT
"An easy language (like English) is not necessarily a blessing"

What a stupid statement! English is not easier than French as a language! No serious linguist would ever speak about language easiness or difficulty!
Guest   Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:04 am GMT
Me pregunto por qué en Antimoon se dice que el inglés y el español son fáciles. La idiocia de algunos no conoce límites.
Visitor   Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:36 am GMT
<< Good point.

Anyways, I'm wondering how long French will remain relevant in North Africa when Arabic is encouraged and English has become more common and likely will continue to do so? We all know what happens when you put English and French together in the same room - English always wins.

And visitor, not many people care about your precious Senegal and the other poverty ridden ex-French colonies that are the poorest in the world. >>

And where did you get the idea that English will supplant French in North Africa? From those crappy links made by ignorant and bootlicker francophobes like you?

Read the following information so that you'll be more informed.
Languages of Algeria
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

French

French is a part of the standard school curriculum, and is widely understood; Ethnologue estimates indicate that 50% of the population can read and write it other sources estimate much larger percentages. Some two-thirds of Algerians have a "fairly broad" grasp of French, and half speak it as a second language. French is widely used in media and commerce. There is also a very small community of French native speakers, including pied-noirs who stayed behind, and people raised in French-speaking households. During the French colonisation, about one million French native speakers lived in Algeria. The pied-noirs developed a distinctive dialect, termed Pataouète.

English

English, because of its status as a global lingua franca, is taught from the first year of Middle School. However, only a tiny number of Algerians speak English, most of them younger people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Algeria

French is still the most widely studied foreign language in the country, and many Algerians speak it fluently, though it is usually not spoken in daily circumstances. Since independence, the government has pursued a policy of linguistic Arabization of education and bureaucracy, with some success, although many university courses continue to be taught in French. Recently, schools have started to incorporate French into the curriculum as early as children start to learn Arabic. French is also used in media and commerce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algeria#Languages

I hope that you're now less ignorant than before and think twice being so protective to the English speaking world. Do you really care for the English language or culture or are you just doing this just because of your selfish vested interest?

Also, why the hell are you making a big fuss about the poverty in ex-French Africa when the ex-British Africa are much poorer? Compare the standard of living in Gabon, Senegal, and Côte d'Ivoire with countries like Tanzania, Kenya, and Uganda. And don't mention about South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe.Those countries became prosperous by African standards because of what the Afrikaners have done to the first two countries I mentioned and the last one had few hundred thousands of British settlers who were responsible for it's stastus.
Jihadist   Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:41 am GMT
I hope GIA kills the remaining French speakers in Algeria.
Jihadiste   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:12 am GMT
I hope GIA kills the remaining Spanish speakers in Morocco and Western Sahara.
Jihadist   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:16 am GMT
Umm, GIA only exists in Algeria.
Jihadiste   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:20 am GMT
Umm, but there are similar GIA extremists that exist in Morocco and Western Sahara.
Jihadist   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:27 am GMT
What are those extremist? Morocco is a relatively moderate Muslim country. This has to change of course with the aid of Allah.
Jihadiste   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:38 am GMT
Whether you like it or not French is flourishing in Algeria. Remember when there was a proposal to scrap it? Riots occurred and the Berbers were the most vocal against its abolition.

Are you really sure that Arabs have affection for the English language especially after the Iraq issue? Don't tell me that ............
Visitor   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 am GMT
<< We all know what happens when you put English and French together in the same room - English always wins. >>

<< -- Like in Mauritius? LOL >>

Same goes with Cameroon where Anglophones complain about more emphasis on French.
Jihadist   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:51 am GMT
Berbers will be killed too. Only Arabic will be allowed in Algeria.
jihadiste   Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:58 am GMT
<< Berbers will be killed too. Only Arabic will be allowed in Algeria. >>

Shut up! I won't waste my time for you.I know that you're a hispanic disguising as jihadist and so envious because the Spanish speaking world is shrinking and now you're targeting the French language and using the English language or Arabic just to save face because of the humiliation that happened on the Spanish language in countries like Philippines, Guam, Marianas, Western Sahara, Equatorial Guinea, and Belize.

Spanish is or is being wiped out in those countries.