learning styles

Coleen   Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:26 pm GMT
This is for teachers and for learners. What do you understand by 'learning style'? Does it mean if language impacts you aurally rather than visually or the other way round? Or does it mean that you prefer 'straight' lessons rather than 'personal' lessons? Or does it simply come down to how much you like your teacher?
I read this post and it made me curious about what we all mean.
http://speakyourmindenglish.blogspot.com/2009/03/learning-styles.html

Can anyone confirm that they got good results from a teaching-style they didn't really like? Or are these the people who are so motivated they will get good results regardless?
Johnny   Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:03 pm GMT
Good learners find the best method to learn after having tried several different ones, and often they find the best method for them is not a simple one, but it's often a kind of custom method they developed on their own over time.

I'd say a good base for every method is made up of "repetition of knowledge" (either by practicing, or using something like Supermemo) and "flexibility" (be open to change, don't focus on details, focus on more general things first, then move on to the details).
Coleen   Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:41 am GMT
Johny,
It seems to me that you are talking about self-study. Not everyone has the dedication or inclination for that. How can someone find out what their best learning style is. Should schools conduct questionnaires to see if their courses fit learners? That would be fair but sounds too idealistic maybe.
Robin Michael   Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:37 am GMT
'Learning Style': I agree with what Johnny has written.

That 'learning' starts with the Classroom Lesson. If the lesson is incomprehensible, then the students can express their dissatisfaction in a variety of ways.

What is more likely, is that the format of the Lesson suits some students more than others. Then it is more difficult to change the way the teacher teaches.

Also, some teachers are simply better teachers than others.

Also, with language learning, there seems to be an emphasis on Homework. That is 'work outside the classroom'.

To give an example of a teaching technique that does not work. If you concentrate on 'spelling exercises' with a student who has difficulty with spelling, then you will find it difficult to teach that student.

Also, it is about trying to make something interesting.

I think that most people would agree, that students have to go along with how the teacher is teaching the material.