About prex. & suff.

Spinner   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:15 pm GMT
I'd just like to know how you native English speakers know the meaning of words with unfamiliar prefix and suffix? (e.g. Mobiliarbus) Are you taught some simple Latin in school (because some of them are from Latin)? Or just just consult the dictionary and remember them?
Ben   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:18 pm GMT
Well, I'm a native speaker, and I have to say I don't know the meaning of the word 'Mobiliarbus' but could hazard a guess if I heard it in some sort of context. It looks like the word 'mobile' comes from it, so that'd be my inclination.

Here in England as a general rule, we're not taught any Latin unless you go to a posh school, so it's usually just a case of look it up and remember it. ;).

Ben
Spinner   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:38 pm GMT
Thanks Ben.
I read this word in HarryPotter. In the translation of my language I can easily get the meaning of the the spell, Mobiliarbus, from the word, so I was wondering if a native speaker can do that as well.
Kate   Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:57 pm GMT
Where I'm from (the US), we aren't taught Latin in school unless you specifically take a class on Latin, but we do have a lot of vocabulary lessons in English class where we basically have to memorize the meanings of a list of English words and then take a test on all of them, and I think this might help us pick up the meanings of unfamiliar words. It also depends on the school; my school does it this way but other schools have other methods.