My learning plan French and Latin.

clavis   Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:14 am GMT
hi everyone I'm from the USA I speak English and Spanish ,and
I'm studying Latin and French,should I study them separately as one at a time,or both at the same time,what language resources would you be able to share or
what do you recommend me to do with these two languages?
I really want to learn them both.
and I find the whole French pronunciation thing absurd at times this kept me back for months which without it I would have learned french by now and is why I think Latin is easier to speak because only educated people in Latin would criticize me,with a native Spanish accent to Latin it sounds not too bad even nice.

again what plan would you recommend me?
Clara   Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:16 pm GMT
learn latin first and then learn french.

"I find the whole French pronunciation thing absurd"

In fact,many french things are absurd, not only the pronunciation.
a demotivator   Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:41 pm GMT
"I find the whole French pronunciation thing absurd"

Says a native speaker of English? English sure isn't absurt, it's logical etc.

"again what plan would you recommend me?"
(Shouldn't the first letter of a sentence be capitalized?)

Don't bother. I doubt you would ever learn these languages well enough to actually use them. Everyone can learn to write and say (with funny accent) some simple French phrases, that doesn't make you smart. In a real conversation you wouldn't be able to express your oh-so-important ideas in French.
a demotivator   Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:45 pm GMT
That misspelling is deliberate.
blepman   Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:27 am GMT
holy sh••t talk about an unwarranted attack on the poor guy. why do you assume that he's just a language dilettante, even though it's quite possible he truly wants to learn these languages?
btw, i've made a point not to capitalize a single one of these sentence beginnings just reinforce that we can relax a bit on internet forums. If he doesn't want to capitalize a little postscript so be it. Everyone can learn to capitalize the beginning of sentences, that doesn't make you smart.

and this is purely to satisfy my curiosity; why did you deliberately misspell the word "absurd", do you think that is an example of english illogical pronunciation?
a demotivator   Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:13 pm GMT
"...it's quite possible he truly wants to learn these languages?"

If he (or she) was smart and really wanted to learn these languages, he wouldn't care what I say. Nor would he be asking us to share or recommend some material or whatever. In fact, if I succeeded in demotivating him (which I doubt), I saved a plenty of his time and he should rather thank me. (Though I think he has excessive amounts of spare time.)

"Everyone can learn to capitalize the beginning of sentences, that doesn't make you smart."
(You capitalized that one. How does it feel to fail?)

I agree, it doesn't make you smart, but not capitalizing makes you dumb. I hope that's simple enough for you to understand. (I may be wrong this time.)

The misspelling was an esoteric joke, which you are not even supposed to understand.