English voice talents wanted

Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:40 am GMT
Wingyellow:

I am sorry if I upset you but this is the internet after all - and even though Antimoon is normally a civilised and well conducted forum it is open to all and sundry with no regulating identity checks I was naturally dubious about your authenticity.

Perhaps you should have worded your initial "job ad" differently to include clearly defined reasons for the stated conditions and requirements and thus avoiding any possible accusations of discrimination. There is very little chance that such an advertisement would have been permitted in a "Jobs" slot in any British medium, especially in your case when you really should have mentioned that your target audience was made up of young children.

Those "offensive"* posts following my earlier post didn't offend me one bit - believe me I have encountered much worse! ;-) In fact I enjoyed them. I'm a journalist for one thing and rasing hackles is my stock in trade.

I hope you get swamped with applications....good luck. Sadly I will refrain from applying as I am more than fully occupied in my present occupation here in the UK.
wargz   Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:54 am GMT
<<Perhaps you should have worded your initial "job ad" differently to include clearly defined reasons for the stated conditions and requirements and thus avoiding any possible accusations of discrimination. There is very little chance that such an advertisement would have been permitted in a "Jobs" slot in any British medium, especially in your case when you really should have mentioned that your target audience was made up of young children. >>

Are you serious? Is Britain really that anal? I mean, can you not put in the ads that, say, you're looking for a "young, brown-haired male actor" or a "voice actor with a deep, resonant voice"? Would that be considered discriminatory? Wow, no wonder they say the west is doomed.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:43 pm GMT
***Are you serious?***

Aye - deadly so.

Is Britain really that anal?

Aye - retentively so.

If you want to know exactly why this should be then you must ask the so called "liberal elite" in this fair land - strongly backed by every minority group under God's sun languishing in this said fair land of ours including the highly vocal and strident feminist stormtroopers who never fail to aim their poison darts at anything and everything they perceive as "discriminatory" in any minute way.

I suggest you aim any responses to a certain wacky and virulently misandrist individual by the name of Ms* Harriet Harman - widely known in this fair land as Harriet Harperson, plus a variety of more luridly mocking titles based on her name.

***2. You must have a partner of the opposite sex. We are looking for talents of both genders***

Harm-a-Man and her ilk would definitely ban this wording from use in any advertisement from the word go......it would be seen as decidely homophobic here in Albion's Isle, a statement seen as barring homosexual people from applying and blatant homophobia is a definite no-no here.

You asked - I gave an honest reply. But don't worry about it - it will never concern you will it? ;-)

*Ms - the title insisted upon by said lady and Honourable Member for the London Camberwell and Peckham Constituency.
Wingyellow   Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:22 pm GMT
Damian:

Thank you for your post. It really opens my eyes. I think being a journalist in UK is quite a risky job.
Wingyellow   Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:55 pm GMT
One gentleman and his friend have already accepted the offer. So the offer is closed.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:58 pm GMT
It has its moments....risky, hilarious, heart-rending, boring, challenging, stimulating....you name it and that's it.

I wouldn't have it any other way...I meet the most interesting people doing the weirdest things.
Johnny   Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:22 pm GMT
<<***2. You must have a partner of the opposite sex. We are looking for talents of both genders***
Harm-a-Man and her ilk would definitely ban this wording from use in any advertisement from the word go......it would be seen as decidely homophobic>>

What the hell? Does "partner" only mean "sexual partner" or something? You have to find yourself a partner (definition from dictionary: one associated with another especially in an action) of the opposite sex to do what you are asked, which is voice acting in a fucking dialog, so that there's always a male and a female in each dialog.
I don't understand what all this mess was about. It's just that. It's simple to understand, it's not weird, and it's legitimate. Political correctness is often just ridiculous.
Caspian   Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:49 pm GMT
Johnny, you're right. One might go as far as to say political correctness is always just ridiculous!