Is there any underlying rule for usage of I/me/myself?

beneficii   Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:38 am GMT
Caspian,

Sounds correct how?
Caspian   Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
<< "Me and him went to the store."

The above sentence sounds natural to native speakers >>

I mean this - you're wrong. It sounds completely clumsy, inarticulate and incorrect to any educated native speaker of English.
beneficii   Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:45 pm GMT
Caspian,

And you mean that it sounds wrong to prescriptivists, but not descriptivists.
Caspian   Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:55 pm GMT
No - I mean it sounds wrong to native speakers. Grammar is either right or wrong - there's no in-between. And using a direct object pronoun when you should be using the nominative pronoun is wrong. That's it!
Lazar   Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:13 pm GMT
<<And you mean that it sounds wrong to prescriptivists, but not descriptivists.>>

Not necessarily. I can be a descriptivist (i.e. recognizing other dialectal forms as legitimate variants) while at the same time finding something "wrong" (i.e. ungrammatical) within the context of my own dialect. Some speakers might find "me and him" natural (at least as an informal variant); others might not.
Lazar   Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:25 pm GMT
I should say, though, that Caspian is equally mistaken in assuming that there's an ironclad universal grammar and that there's some kind of unanimity among educated native speakers. The forms that one finds correct depend on one's dialect (as well as formality), and dialects evolve over time. We can already look at another instance where this supposed "no in-between" rule of pronoun case is violated: almost all native speakers prefer "It's me" to "It is I", to the extent that the latter (more prescriptively correct) form may strike them as prohibitively stilted and unnatural.
Johnny   Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:47 pm GMT
<<almost all native speakers prefer "It's me" to "It is I", to the extent that the latter (more prescriptively correct) form may strike them as prohibitively stilted and unnatural.>>

Which in turn makes "it is I" wrong, according to the "real grammar", the one that takes account of how language really works.
Caspian, leave prescriptive grammar alone. Prescriptive grammar is completely meaningless, it's a lie, it's a joke, it's a fairy tale. It's pseudo-science, so it should be called pseudo-grammar. So, any serious discussion about language can't involve prescriptive pseudo-grammar.

So, seriously, wouldn't everyone agree that "It is I" is wrong? I mean, who the hell says it? If anyone actually ever says it, they are just unnaturally forcing themselves to follow prescriptive grammar, I guess.
Caspian   Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:57 pm GMT
But it's not wrong, it's correct. I say it, it's the correct way! It's not unnatural, it's correct.
Skippy   Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:33 am GMT
I believe "it's me" is something English has borrowed from the Romance languages (c'est moi) as opposed to Germanic (das bin ich).
Damian London SW15   Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pm GMT
If you had a quid coin handed to you each time you heard someone in the UK reply "It is I!" to the query: "Who's there knocking on our door?" then I'm afraid you would be going empty handed and hungry to bed each night.
Caspian   Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:57 pm GMT
Haha, that's true - but still, the use of 'me and him' in nominative is just wrong!
Travis   Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:22 pm GMT
>>I believe "it's me" is something English has borrowed from the Romance languages (c'est moi) as opposed to Germanic (das bin ich).<<

I think it is more just a matter in that predicative verbs in English now treat case in the way that other verbs do, rather than having the special case where the predicate noun is nominative rather than oblique in case, unlike direct and indirect objects for normal verbs.
rapp   Tue May 12, 2009 7:59 pm GMT
<<Grammar is either right or wrong - there's no in-between.>>

Thou art incorrect.
rapp   Thu May 14, 2009 5:15 pm GMT
I noticed that someone asked about when to use "himself" versus "hisself". Always use "himself".

I'm tempted to say that "hisself" is not a word. I know descriptivists will squawk and say that people really do use the word, and they are correct. But the word carries a stigma of being a low-class/ignorant/uneducated usage. Basically, nobody will look down on you if you say "himself", but many people will if you use "hisself".
Alex   Fri May 15, 2009 1:40 pm GMT
Hi! You can find [URL="http://myfrenchtutor.co.uk"]french tutor[/URL] for GCSE and Pre GCSE Students on this [URL="http://myfrenchtutor.co.uk"]french courses[/URL]