Pronunciation of "wanna"

Jose   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:25 am GMT
I've heard that "wanna" is supposed pronounced with [A] in American English according to dictionaries. However, I've listened to a Linkin Park song that included these lyrics "I wanna be pushed aside, so let me go, let me take back my life". It sounds to me like the singer is using a schwa sound rather than [A] in "wanna". So how is the word pronounced in American English?
Jose   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:26 am GMT
I'm talking about the first vowel, not the last.
User   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:47 am GMT
It is definitely [A] for most people. Don't base your pronunciation on songs... Singers don't always sing the way they speak.
wanna   Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:11 am GMT
It's usually [A] (or [Q] for some Canadians and people from the Western US).
Travis   Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:28 am GMT
At least here in Milwaukee, "wanna" is [ˈwɒ̃ɾ̃ə(ː)]~[ˈwɒ̃̂ɐ̯̃], or for some (generally sporadically) [ˈwɑ̃ɾ̃ə(ː)]~[ˈwɑ̃̂ɐ̯̃] (but due to the NCVS, not the cot-caught merger). Note that the kind of pronunciation you refer to above is a cot-caught-merged one, and a majority of North American English speakers are still not cot-caught-merged to date.
Johnny   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:56 am GMT
I think I have actually heard "wanna" with a schwa too, "wunna". I believe I have heard it from African Americans.
Johnny   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:58 am GMT
On second thought, maybe it sounded like a schwa, but it might have been a different kind of vowel from "their" schwa, so I don't know.
Johnny   Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:21 pm GMT
Here's an example of what I mean:

At 2:00 - Black Superman: "Who you think wanna see..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETM_wDzKVsg

The vowel in that "wanna" is too different from my "father" one, so it sounds like a schwa... to me. But it might just be a /ɔ/ or a /ɒ/ or something (if not cot-caught merged, it would make sense), but I just hear a schwa.
What do you say?
Kess   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:39 pm GMT
US&Canadian forms are [wAn@] and [wQn@].
Jose   Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:57 pm GMT
http://dl2.musicwebtown.com/ltduyhien02/playlists/37668/516769.mp3

Okay here's the song. Does everyone else here the singer use a schwa in the "wanna" in the line ("I wanna be pushed aside")?