"if"

Werner   Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:01 pm GMT
I'm a German learning English. I was told that you should'nt use "will" or "would" in an "if-sentence". However, in one of my lessons of my English book one person says to another: We are going to have a party tonight, that is if Mr. Jones won't mind.
Won't means "will not", doesn't it? Why is it still correct? I suppose it is, since it's a book on English language.
I'd like your answer. Thanks in advance.
Werner
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:38 pm GMT
It's correct.
Guest   Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:34 am GMT
To me, "doesn't" seems to fit slightly better in that sentence than "won't".

Are you learning British English or American English?
Lazar   Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:44 am GMT
Yeah, I (speaking American English) would prefer "doesn't" over "won't" in that context.
Werner   Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:16 pm GMT
My book is on British English, but it is a bit dated - as I am. Of late, I have been spending the winters in florida.
Brennus   Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:27 pm GMT
Werner,

It really should be said "We are going to have a party tonight, that is if Mr. Jones DOESN't mind;" or even better, "We are going to have a party tonight, PROVIDING Mr. Jones DOESN'T mind. " The use of "won't" sounds a bit vernacular.
Rick Johnson   Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:40 pm GMT
Yeah, won't doesn't sound quite right- doesn't is more correct. Books are often full of grammatical mistakes.
Guy   Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:01 am GMT
How about these two sentences?

I'll call you if I'm late.
I'll call you if I'm going to be late.
I'll call you if I'll be late.

To me 1 is the most natural in the context where the person if already late as he makes a phonecall, and 2 is used when he is still not sure if he's going to be late or not (but thinks he will) as he calls, along with 3.