which accent do you prefer British or American?

Kirk   Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:24 am GMT
Yes, good points, Travis.
Brennus   Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:00 am GMT
Re: "I personally prefer to think it was performed and published in Brennus' La-la land which also happens to produce other such nonsense he's mentioned in the past ;) "

Kirk,

I think it would be wise to disengage from this kind of sliming of participants on the forum . It's catty and immature and definitely makes the person doing it look bad.

--- Brennus
Travis   Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:03 am GMT
>>I think it would be wise to disengage from this kind of sliming of participants on the forum . It's catty and immature and definitely makes the person doing it look bad.<<

Not like you haven't already done plenty of a good job making yourself look bad anyways.
andre in usa   Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:08 am GMT
I agree with Brennus, knock it off.
Brennus   Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:20 am GMT
Thanks andre in usa- You're a good man.
Lazar   Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:40 am GMT
<<Thanks andre in usa- You're a good man.>>

Well I guess I'm a bad man, because I'm of the viewpoint that you spout pseudolinguistic nonsense, employ uncited "folk linguistic" evidence, and rarely if ever provide relevant responses when faced with conflicting evidence. (Also, you need to learn X-SAMPA and stop using indecipherable ad-hoc phonetic respellings.)
Kirk   Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:46 am GMT
<<I agree with Brennus, knock it off.>>

If you'll notice in my posts on this forum I always strive to comment on people's comments, not go ad hominem. People are free to write the things they do, but if they consistently have no factual basis yet are enshrouded in an air of feigned authority it shouldn't be surprising that people will point out the underlying problems in their arguments. When these constructive comments are consistently ignored, responded to with irrelevant comments or with further uncited and outlandish claims, it's not inconceivable that people interested in real dialog on topics will become frustrated.

You may notice that those who have expressed frustration with said poster are not the type of people who constantly complain, troll around, or attack others personally. In fact, quite the opposite. Personally, I aim to not attack ad hominem (and feel I still haven't) but I have no problem attacking faulty arguments or comments, especially if they're consistently thrown about with a would-be authoritative air.

Also, andre in usa, you haven't always been involved in our discussions so I have a feeling you don't really know the background behind much of this.

<<Kirk,

I think it would be wise to disengage from this kind of sliming of participants on the forum . It's catty and immature and definitely makes the person doing it look bad.>>

That, considering comments you've made in the past towards certain posters, is outrageous.
Kirk   Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:14 am GMT
<<Well I guess I'm a bad man, because I'm of the viewpoint that you spout pseudolinguistic nonsense, employ uncited "folk linguistic" evidence, and rarely if ever provide relevant responses when faced with conflicting evidence.>>

Yup. All three of those are quite frustrating in and of themselves but would be (and are) forgivable if done in sincere unfamiliarity with linguistics-related topics (no one expects everyone to be experts on this stuff). However, feigning authority in such instances and then trying to ignore or discount the comments of those who point out inaccuracies is unacceptable.
Guest   Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:02 am GMT
<< (Also, you need to learn X-SAMPA and stop using indecipherable ad-hoc phonetic respellings.) >>

If you are so Genius then why don't you use Tom's made ASCII phonetic transcript. Too hard for you, ye?

Travis,

Haven't your parents taught you good mannerisms? Have respect for old people who had seen this world more closely than you can ever envisage.

Kirk,
I have already declared you King of linguistics and a champion of good mannerisms then I don't know think so - you need any lectures from me. You've already learned so much that any lectures from others will not make any difference to you. Prof. Kirk, thanks for reading my post. I feel honored.
Kirk   Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:19 am GMT
Haha, nice try at sarcasm, guest, but you've obviously missed my points. One of the main reasons I come to forums like this is that I learn quite a lot from them. I also have no problem with people unfamiliar with linguistics or linguistic concepts but it's the issue of sincerity that's at hand. No matter the subject, talking about something you have very little substantive knowledge about *and* pretending like what you say is credible is what raises most people's ire.
Kirk   Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:20 am GMT
<<If you are so Genius then why don't you use Tom's made ASCII phonetic transcript.>>

That system is inadequate except for describing phonemics, and even then, is lacking.
Ganesh   Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:16 pm GMT
I have always thought American accent is difficult to follow for the newbies. The British like runCDfirst says is pleasant to listen to and easy to understand.
César   Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:52 pm GMT
I prefer the American accent; that's why I learned it.
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:20 pm GMT
<<I prefer the American accent; that's why I learned it. >>

I'm curious, Cesar, why do you prefer American?
Graeme   Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:40 pm GMT
I'd be biased here, because I'm an Scottish-American and say that the Scots accent, especially greater Glasgow is the best. I was once told by a teacher (while in England growing up, and he a Scot) that it is the most representative and correct overall of the English language pronounciation. Of course he wasn't referring to a 'Glesga' brogue, but rather the central Scottish educated accent where the pronounce every R and T. He was probably just bee essing, as you know the whole "Scots invented everything" escpecially around English people :]
Just started reading this forum while doing a search on Minneosta accents, and I am fascinated by this site. Great job guys. Very interesting and involved info here. I was interested because I heard an accent the other day that was Minnesotan but they were speaking so fast I could only understand a couple of words like 'thur' and 'yah'. Crazy.
I'm used to working with Filipinos and Vietnamese and can understand them, but I had never before encountered an American accent that I couldn't understand! It was an older couple, but their children spoke with the typical Minneapolis accent. Very Germanic and Norse overtones obviously to their speech, but some of it reminded me of West Country/Janner English. Thoughts anyone?

Sorry, don't mean to change the subject...