American sounds less native English than English or Aussie

Trimac20   Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:51 am GMT
It sounds closer to foreign accents like East Asian or Spanish than Aussie or English, which sounds more native speaker English. The 'o' sound, for instance, is shared among most NNE and American accents, while the Aussie sound is not.

Your opinions?
*wintereis   Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:42 pm GMT
I dnn`t know how GA or any other accents from the U.S. could sound any more or less native since it is a native English speaking nation.
nonno   Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:22 pm GMT
It sounds closer to foreign accents like East Asian or Spanish than Aussie or English, which sounds more native speaker English. The 'o' sound, for instance, is shared among most NNE and American accents, while the Aussie sound is not.

What should I say??? This is stupid.. Americans are English native speakers, their English is only different from the British one....
Pat   Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:32 pm GMT
What the heck are you talking about? The North American [oU] or [o] is much closer to the pronunciation found all over the English speaking world a few hundred years ago. Since it is closer to the original pronunciation than the Southern England English pronunciation, how can you come to the conclusion that it sounds less "native" than certain varieties of English spoken in Britain and Australia?
Lazar   Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:15 pm GMT
<<Your opinions?>>

Utter nonsense?
Jef   Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:16 pm GMT
This makes absolutely no sense. How can Americans not sound like native speakers when they are indeed native speakers?
p   Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:15 pm GMT
Well some people from places like Singapore speak English, but don't sound native. They learned it from non-native speaker, and spend all their time speaking to other non-native speakers with the same odd accent. The same is not true of NAE.
Bob   Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:13 pm GMT
Does that mean Scottish English sounds like a foreign language?
p   Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:10 pm GMT
I don't know. All I know is that I heard someone from Singapore? Or was it Malaysia. Somewhere in Asia. He had said that English was his first language. Everyone here burst out laughing, as he had such a thick accent, and had such non-native sounding grammar. But it turned out that English was his first and only language. I don't envy him. I would be very embarrassed if I could only speak like that.
Uriel   Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:49 am GMT
I think we sound pretty native. And what's so strange about our o's?
Bob   Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:31 am GMT
>>The 'o' sound, for instance, is shared among most NNE and American accents, while the Aussie sound is not. <<

Which o sound? The Aussie one in words like "pole" and "old" sounds to me just like the American version.

Otherwise, if American sounds as exotic as East Asian or Spanish then I suppose Scottish English sounds as foreign as Dutch.
Trimac20   Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:30 am GMT
It's more from the perspective of British English. The 'o' is like um, the way the majority of speakers of other languages say it, and Northern English/Scottish. Anyone with ears can hear they are completely differerent.

GAE just sounds quite close to the non Southern British or Aussie accent to my ears
Bob   Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:01 am GMT
How could anyone know what o sound you mean without a description or at least an example?

If you mean that vowel sound in words like "own" and "loan" then I'd agree it's quite different to that in GAE (General American English). But in some parts of Southern American (US South) and California it's actually quite similar to that in Australian English.

But generally, the American accent sounds a lot like Irish, Devonian (from Devonshire) and Cornish accents; not exactly, of course but there's a lot in common. The o sound among those accents (and Scottish too) are pretty much the same, as far as I'm concerned.
nsl1646   Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:21 pm GMT
American English does sound more like East Asian languages in the sense that we (Americans) pronounce the "R" at the end of words and in words like "word" or "part", where British English speakers do not, saying "filla" instead of "filler" or "pawt" instead of "part".
m   Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:40 pm GMT
The R preservation is an archaic trait.