Please comment on my accent

pearlyriver   Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:10 am GMT
Here's the link to the audio of me reading a poem. I welcome all comments on my accents and advices on how to improve it. Btw, guese where i'm from?
http://www18.zippyshare.com/upload
pearlyriver   Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:21 am GMT
srr guys, i misposted the link. the correct link is
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/42035250/file.html
Curryriver   Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:14 am GMT
My first guess is you are Indian.
Second guess: Pakistani, or the countries near there.
Third guess: Thai, Vietnamese, or wherever near there.
pearlyriver   Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:10 am GMT
yep, i'm from vietnam. do u have any advice on how to reduce my accent?
a demotivator   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:42 pm GMT
You should learn to write this language properly. You are trying to be native-like in a wrong way. Don't use slang and Ebonics; it only makes you look like an idiot (which you probably are).

And if you are asking us for advice, you are not worth being advised.
clear   Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:18 pm GMT
"a demotivator", you are the idiot.
pearlyriver   Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:28 am GMT
Dear Mr/Ms demotivator
The audio features me reading a poem with very formal words. I don't use any slang or Ebonics.
Thus I have the feeling that you are not worth giving me or other people advice. Your brain is to small to do that.
CID   Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:53 am GMT
pearlyriver,

I would have guessed China, but I see you're from Viet Nam :)

I will be honest with you--it was at time difficult to understand you because you spoke too fluidly--you often ran on where a native speaker would have paused, or stressed a word. It almost sounded as if you were reading sounds, but didnt' fully comprehend exactly what you were saying : (

Your pronunciation of "gently" needs some work. You sound as if you are pronouncing an extra syllable in there, like "generally"

Other than that you did a good job. Stay motivated! You're very close
pearlyriver   Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:13 am GMT
thanks a lot for yr advice, CID. I may never master a good accent, but at least I have sth to be motivated. I have experienced several racial remarks on foreigners'accent and I was dismayed a lot.
goSpurs!   Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:48 pm GMT
I'm a bit shocked by some of the rude comments posted here.
The OP asked for some useful suggestions and nobody forced you to listen to his/her recording.

Pearlyriver - don't worry about negative (or racial) remarks on foreigner's accent, as more often than not they are expressed by people who didn't manage to learn another language and simply don't understand that there might be some limits for somebody whose mother tongue has different sounds etc.

Good luck to you!
Ke   Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:52 am GMT
c'est indien le culero