English speakers in France

CaNadian   Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:38 pm GMT
One more thing I forgot to mention...

<< French people (...) need to be reminded that being "loud" (...) is not the worst thing and that loud people can be kind and helpful people >>

You missed the point entirely... it's not really about being loud or not, it's about assimilating to the cultural standards and norms of the country you're visiting...

For example, if you go to Japan, you are expected to take off your shoes in certain places... now, you could be the friendliest person in the world but that doesn't matter... if you don't take your shoes off when requested, then you're rude and obnoxious and disrespectful and ... etc.
CANadian   Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:43 pm GMT
<< I didn't participate in the Freedom Fries bashing. I am disappointed with Parisien, but I did not verbally abuse him. I cannot say the same for your unwarranted response to me. That is not slang from Quebec. It isn't slang at all. It's an old saying that you should consider for yourself. >>

YOu don't have to personally participate in it, what matters is that your your country did; therefore, you have been a hypocrit in criticizing Parisien's response since your nation did the same thing, in fact, in a much more immature and childish way... and that's why you should consider that saying... I didn't say anything hypocritical, and my country thankfully did not engage in such behaviour.
;(   Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:50 pm GMT
Dear Canadian,

Very well, Canadian, you can get in the door in Japan, but then what?

Is the door locked to the home? Is the genkan part of the home or not?
What happens to shoes after they are taken off in Japan and do you know why they are removed? What do you say in Japan when you enter the home, and what piece of furniture is immediately inside the door? What is done to the shoes before the person leaves? Is it okay to take an umbrella or is it stealing? What gift should you bring if you come to the home? Are four white flowers and a good set of four knives appreciated or not? At a wedding, what words are taboo?

And now in France, should you compliment the lady of the house about her cooking? If so, how.

Apparently you think I am a barbarian, lol.
blanchette   Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:54 pm GMT
Is there any interest in this topic?
PARISIEN   Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:26 pm GMT
<< I suppose your whole "Freedom Fries" hoopla did much to improve Franco-American relations... >>

-- Absolument. "Freedom" érigé en synonyme de "French", c'est un honneur auquel les Français ont été très sensibles.
Guest   Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:01 pm GMT
Todavía existe el término "freedom fries " en USA o dejó de usarse cuando Bush se fue del gobierno? Anyways they should be called "imperialist fries".
Skippy   Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:17 pm GMT
No one ever actually called them 'Freedom Fries' or 'Freedom Toast' or anything like that. It wasn't Bush's decision, he didn't implement the policy or anything like that. It was the House of Representatives and it was only restaurants in the House.

And the practice of renaming things isn't new to the US. In France, for example, foods originally associated with Austria (cafe viennois, for example) is now replaced with a French place name (cafe liegeois).
idiots   Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:20 pm GMT
Ok, Americans may be loud when the go to France, but at least they don't go around looking for guys to bumfuck like French men do when they come to America.
PARISIEN   Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:45 pm GMT
<< looking for guys to bumfuck like French men do when they come to America >>

America 'gayest' country in world
KEITH STEVENS
Penn Staff Writer
A recent worldwide survey declared that America and Australia are tied for being the "gayest" countries on the planet, according to www.ananova.com.
The declaration came after a seven-year online survey that saw more than 150,000 people respond.
Apparently, 17 percent of Americans and Australians are involved in homosexual relationships."
http://media.www.thepenn.org/media/storage/paper930/news/2003/10/06/Opinion/America.gayest.Country.In.World-2228573.shtml

-- Your point?

;-)
CANadian   Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:08 pm GMT
<< Very well, Canadian, you can get in the door in Japan, but then what? Is the door locked (...) what words are taboo? >>

This really long paragraph has absolutely nothing with our discussion. I think what happened is that you realized your mistake (and that's okay) but you're just trying to avert attention from it by asking all these unnecessary questions... nice try.

<< Apparently you think I am a barbarian, lol. >>

I never said that... all I ask is for you to think before you speak.

Skippy:
<< No one ever actually called them 'Freedom Fries' or 'Freedom Toast' or anything like that. It wasn't Bush's decision, he didn't implement the policy or anything like that. It was the House of Representatives and it was only restaurants in the House. >>

First of all, the begining of your statement is both a contradiction and a big fat lie... millions of Americans called French fries Freedom fries.
Second, thank God your ass of a president didn't have the audacity and immaturity to actually implement the policy. Instead, it was your House of Rep's, which is extremely embarrassing nevertheless... I mean I can understand if Rush Limbaugh/Sean Hannity/Bill O'reilly did that, but your HOUSE OF REPRESENTASTIVES?!! Do they really have absolutely nothing better to do than this childish behaviour?

<< And the practice of renaming things isn't new to the US. In France, for example, foods originally associated with Austria (cafe viennois, for example) is now replaced with a French place name (cafe liegeois). >>

That's a different ball game altogether and you know it.
The latter is a result of the adoption of something through affection (or even jealousy) while the former has a vulgar, undiplomatic, and politically based motive.

I would have no problem if Americans decided to rename French Fries as Freedom Fries (or even American Friesn)... but just not right after Frace decides not to side with America.
CANadian   Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:12 pm GMT
By the way, dozens of diners around the US (especially in the South and Mid West, along highways) followed suit and temporarily changed the terminology...

This is coming from eye-witness sources as well as me personally.. so no, it wasn't JUST the House of Rep's!
Guest   Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:13 pm GMT
<< looking for guys to bumfuck like French men do when they come to America >>

America 'gayest' country in world
KEITH STEVENS
Penn Staff Writer
A recent worldwide survey declared that America and Australia are tied for being the "gayest" countries on the planet, according to www.ananova.com.
The declaration came after a seven-year online survey that saw more than 150,000 people respond.
Apparently, 17 percent of Americans and Australians are involved in homosexual relationships."
http://media.www.thepenn.org/media/storage/paper930/news/2003/10/06/Opinion/America.gayest.Country.In.World-2228573.shtml

-- Your point?

So you was the French spammer?
CANadian   Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:21 pm GMT
Parisien a dit :

<< Absolument. "Freedom" érigé en synonyme de "French", c'est un honneur auquel les Français ont été très sensibles. >>

mdr... mais vraiment, si nous réfléchissons, c'est difficile à criore.
Et pourquoi ne pas faire la même chose et renomer "Sauerkraut" comme "Liberty Cabbage", exactement comme ce qui se passé après la première guerre mondiale.
Ms. A. Moon   Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:14 am GMT
Was Parisien the french spammer? Guest, how do you know so much?