the N word

Kess   Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:27 pm GMT
Nerd
H   Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:29 am GMT
And does “negro” sound as offensive? How acceptable?
Dean   Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:40 pm GMT
Both words are generally unacceptable. It is not quite on the same level of offensiveness as the n-word though.
Jasper   Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:55 pm GMT
I agree with the general consensus on the n-word: don't say it unless you have a death wish.
Skippy   Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:25 pm GMT
"Negro" is not acceptable either, but if you say it with a thick enough accent, they may let you live.
black people arent'that t   Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:53 pm GMT
Why does everyone assume you will get beaten up if you use those words? Maybe if you use those words, someone will TRY to beat you up, but will end up beaten up themselves?
?   Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:11 am GMT
The only ways that are acceptable to use "negro" are in organizational names. I believe Barack Obama gave money to an organization for college students with the word "Negro" in it.

It may be acceptable to use the word in a historical context in a movie.

Since "negro" means "black" in Spanish, I wonder if this will change with the Spanish-speaking population.
no way   Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:30 am GMT
<<Since "negro" means "black" in Spanish, I wonder if this will change with the Spanish-speaking population. >>

No. People do not change perfectly good words in their own language in order to facilitate PC-pushing in a foreign language.
H   Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:10 am GMT
Thanks, everybody.
barbar   Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:20 pm GMT
Which word shall we use instead of "nigger"?
freedom   Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:28 pm GMT
You can use any word you like, including that, as long as you are prepared for the consequences.
fraz   Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:32 pm GMT
Nigger used to refer to a shade of paint in Britain, long before black people began arriving in any significant numbers.

And wasn't there a a 50s TV show that featured a dog called Nigger? I think they dubbed an alternative name on to the dialogue when the broadcasts were repeated. But is that correct, should we tamper with old media just to render them less offensive to the political climate of today?
John   Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:44 pm GMT
Shouldn't Nigeria change its country's name?
Maravilha   Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:48 pm GMT
In Brazil, ''negro'' is the official and neutral word, it means ''Afrobrazilian''.
The pejorative word is ''preto'' which means ''black''.

It's said: ''preto'' is an object, ''negro'' is a person.

Nevertheless, many ''negro'' people call themselves ''preto'' when they talk between themselves informally (I've heard many Black people using the word ''negro'' between themselves in US, but if a white person uses it, it's an insult, if a black person uses it, it's not: just like queer and fag, when a gay person uses it it's not offensive)
Guest   Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:44 pm GMT
<,Nevertheless, many ''negro'' people call themselves ''preto'' when they talk between themselves informally (I've heard many Black people using the word ''negro'' between themselves in US, but if a white person uses it, it's an insult, if a black person uses it, it's not: just like queer and fag, when a gay person uses it it's not offensive) >>

in the US, "nigga" is also used in informal talk among African Americans as well