Lay

Choose   Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:56 pm GMT
Out of a novel:
"You were in no rush. Almost two days you made me lay on that cold, hard floor. I didn't eat or sleep, all I did was push and pray that you would come out. I cut the cord between us myself."

How come the author wrote "made me lay" and not "lie"?
Lazar   Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:25 pm GMT
It's common in vernacular English to use "lay" in place of the traditional "lie".
Leasnam   Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:34 pm GMT
<<It's common in vernacular English to use "lay" in place of the traditional "lie". >>

True.
And this is because even many native English speakers do not know the difference between 'lie' (intransitive) and 'lay' (transitive), and get the two confused.
Robin Michael   Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:13 pm GMT
>>>>
And this is because even many native English speakers do not know the difference between 'lie' (intransitive) and 'lay' (transitive), and get the two confused.
<<<<

Only a linguist would presume that language should follow their rules! The problem is not with the author's use of language, but the linguist's rules.

'lay' means something different to 'lie'. When the author uses the word 'lay' it draws attention to the word, in a way in which 'lie' wouldn't.

My first impression when I saw a post entitled 'lay' was that 'lay' has a sexual connotation, as in 'let's get laid'.

There is also Bob Dylan's use of the word 'lay'.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhXUWJj3p_8

Lay, Lady, Lay

Lay, lady, lay, lay across my big brass bed
Whatever colors you have in your mind
I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

Stay, lady, stay, stay with your man awhile
Until the break of day, let me see you make him smile
His clothes are dirty but his hands are clean
And you're the best thing that he's ever seen

Stay, lady, stay, stay with your man awhile
Why wait any longer for the world to begin
You can have your cake and eat it too
Why wait any longer for the one you love
When he's standing in front of you

Stay, lady, stay, stay while the night is still ahead
I long to see you in the morning light
I long to reach for you in the night
Stay, lady, stay, stay while the night is still ahead
Leasnam   Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:47 pm GMT
<<'lay' means something different to 'lie'>>

Yes. Regardless of rules and such, 'lie' means "to be reclined"; 'lay' means "to cause [something or someone] to lie, be reclined"

those are the basic definitions of those two words.

One "lays" a book down on the table [i.e. causes the book "to lie"]
One does not 'lie' a book down. ???

Same for the above "Almost two days you made me lay on that cold"--this doesn't make sense.

It like saying: Almost two days you made me set [--instead of 'sit'] in that chair. (although many people get these two mixed up just the same :\
Leasnam   Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:53 pm GMT
<,It like saying: Almost two days you made me set [--instead of 'sit'] in that chair. (although many people get these two mixed up just the same)

The only way 'lay' and 'set' can be used if its reflexive (meaning, done to yourself)

"Almost two days you made me lay/set [myself] on that cold/in that chair"

but in the original post above I doubt that is what was truly meant
Guest   Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:21 pm GMT
<<My first impression when I saw a post entitled 'lay' was that 'lay' has a sexual connotation, as in 'let's get laid'.
>>

That was mine too hehe that's why I looked :|)
Choose   Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:51 pm GMT
>>And this is because even many native English speakers do not know the difference between 'lie' (intransitive) and 'lay' (transitive), and get the two confused. <<

Yeah folks, I get that. That still does not satisfactorily explain to me why an author would use it in formal writing.
Lazar   Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:11 pm GMT
Choose, as I said above, it's very common in vernacular English (American English at least) to use "lay" in place of the more traditional "lie". The excerpt that you give doesn't seem to be in a formal register, it seems to be vernacular dialog. Even if it were narration, rather than dialog, there's still no reason why a novel would have to be written in a formal register.
Robin Michael   Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:35 pm GMT
This is really quite an interesting debate. The language does not conform to the rules, therefore the language must be wrong. Only an academic could come up with such an intelligent comment.

I rest my case.

Il Dottore - the doctor. He appears to be a learned man, but generally that impression proves to be false. He is older, wealthy, and a member of the vecchi. Pedantic and miserly, he is hopelessly unsuccessful with women. In an attempt to impress, he prattles constantly about a topic. Everyone else believes what he is saying to be true but most of the time it is erroneous. This leads the dramatis personae into further trouble and confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commedia_dell%27arte