How are foreigners perceived in France?

Klaus   Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:57 am GMT
If I got Paris, will I be treated differently if I will speak French with an accent?
K. T.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:30 am GMT
They are perceived as very good if they have money to spend, but that's in France, not just in Paris.
guest   Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:28 am GMT
as long as you speak some french or ask to people "do you speak english" before talking in English you will be nice treated.

If you act as if France was UK, USA or any other english speaking country, you will have very rude responses. That logical it is a question of respect for the country you are visiting.
encore   Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:33 am GMT
<<If I got Paris, will I be treated differently if I will speak French with an accent? >>
Maybe You must speak German in Paris,because France and Germany are good friends.
Rene   Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:40 am GMT
You must to speak french or good henglish.
Ys   Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:59 am GMT
How are visitors from Eastern Europe perceived? Can the French easily determine their accents? Would they still switch to English, knowing that's not the visitor's native language, for the purpose of understanding?
PARISIEN   Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:24 am GMT
<< If I got Paris, will I be treated differently if I will speak French with an accent? >>

-- Don't worry: virtually everyone in Paris has a accent. In addition to highly visible African, Arabic, Pakistani, Turkish, Tamil, Chinese, Greek, Vietnamese etc. minorities, the majority of common residents are of Jewish, Polish or Portuguese origin.
The only "pure" French you are likely to meet there are commuters from the Western suburbs. You won't see any on Sundays and banking holidays.

<< They are perceived as very good if they have money to spend, but that's in France, not just in Paris. >>

- This could not be more wrong. Unlike all other nations on Earth, the French are much friendlier to penniless backpackers than to over-wealthy visitors who are often seen as arrogant suckers (and sometimes actually are, especially the "new tourists" from the Gulf, Russia or China).
The more money you have, the less smiles you have to expect, in absolute contrast to Britain or the U.S. of A.
Nancy   Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:27 am GMT
France sounds SO cool! This is off-topic, but I'll ask it anyways. When is a better time to study in Paris: Fall or Spring?
Osvald   Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 am GMT
I'm from Canada and I visited lots of European countries but I have to say that I prefer Italy or Greece to France. Paris is cool though
PARISIEN   Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am GMT
<<Fall or Spring?>>
- Les deux. Both!
K. T.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:40 pm GMT
PARISIEN,

Hotels and restaurants suffered from foreign visitors after 9/11. They would be very happy to have some people who spend money.

I was joking, a little. I can't remember if people were friendly to me or not when I was a student in Paris. I was hungry a lot until I got a job.
Guest   Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:15 pm GMT
Si los turistas con dinero no son bienvenidos en Francia entonces pueden venir a España.
Guest   Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:30 pm GMT
Well of course, Spain always spreads her legs wide apart, whether it's foreign policy or everyday things.
Guest   Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:35 pm GMT
Tú tienes dinero o eres pobre? Si eres pobre no eres bienvenido en España. Aquí ya tenemos bastantes pobres con los inmigrantes.
J.C.   Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:00 pm GMT
@ K.T:
Sorry to ask but I got curious to know how many countries you have visited or have been for studying? When you were in Japan were you also a student?

Cheers!!!