French in Canada and Spanish in USA.

User   Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:52 am GMT
<<Mexicans lost the war, but are wining the demographic war. Go to L.A. and see. >>

It doesn't really matter. Even if people of Mexican descent become the majority, they will end up being English speaking Americans in just two generations. You'll lose the language war in the end.

See Italian-Americans for precedent of this: There are areas in New York (Long Island), and New Jersey, where the majority of the residents are of italian descent; NONE of them speak Italian.
Guest   Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:14 pm GMT
Italo Americans didn't have an Italian speaking county close to them.
Speedy Gonzalez   Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:24 pm GMT
<<Of course they didn't disappear. Almost all of them stayed, but were anglicized a LONG time ago, and their descendants are regular monolingual anglophone Americans. >>

Not a long time ago. Spanish was predominant at the begining of the XX century in New Mexico. When was NM annexed, in 1850? That means 50 years of intense anglisation and yet Spanish was the most spoken language in New Mexico, not bad. A few decades later the inmigrant waves refreshed the Spanish speaking population, but due to one cause or another you have that since the XVI century until nowadays Spanish is present in some states of USA. If Spanish is not native in USA, clearly English isn't as well because Spanish presence in USA is older. Only Navajo and other indigenous languages are more native than Spanish. By the way navajo is a Spanish word.
Guest   Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 pm GMT
their descendants are regular monolingual anglophone Americans

No, eso es mentira. Lee esto:

Speakers of New Mexican Spanish are mainly descendants of Spanish colonists who arrived in New Mexico in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. During this time, contact with the rest of Spanish America was limited, and New Mexican Spanish was allowed to develop on its own course.

De nada.
º_____^_____º   Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:24 pm GMT
Lo mejor es que vuelvan los inmigrantes a sus respectivos paises, sin imnigrantes, la población local decrecería como ocurre en rusia, luego cuando la población sea escasa, intentar recuperar la gloria de Nueva España :D enviando inmigrantes al imperio clandestino lo único que se consigue es darle más poder del que tiene....

arrivederci :)
European   Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:23 pm GMT
Rusia se ha convertido en uno de los paises mas conservadores, reaccionarios y retrogados del mundo.
CANadian   Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:58 pm GMT
realist:

<< You really don't understand it or you are just saying that? Territorial disputed are one of the main sources of conflict, it's hardly surprising that people go on about it, they do everywhere, whether it's realistic or not. >>

And I'm saying that these territorial disputes are baseless and futile, that people should just move on...

Jeez, do I have to spell it out for you?
I already know that there are territorial disputes and that people have been talking about it forever... that was the whole point of my post.

You're retarding the discussion.
Guest   Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:59 pm GMT
Rusia se ha convertido en uno de los paises mas conservadores, reaccionarios y retrogados del mundo.

Eso se debe a su pasado comunista.
CANadian   Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 pm GMT
< Italo Americans didn't have an Italian speaking county close to them. >

It doesn't matter, most Alsacians are not speaking German now, even though Germany is just an hour away from Alsace.
K. T.   Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:25 am GMT
"Easy, you can drive across the whole country blindfolded. You might die though." blanc

" And/or many others might die too." Noir

Funny stuff.

Yes, if you flew from Los Angeles to New York, it's possible that you would be able to find Spanish speakers in the airport and on board to help you.

If you drove, unlikely.

Flying from Montreal to Vancouver, yes, I think you would be able to manage airport to airport. Driving? I have my doubts.
K. T.   Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:30 am GMT
"It doesn't matter, most Alsacians are not speaking German now, even though Germany is just an hour away from Alsace."

Alsatians speak French and some speak Alsatian (which, as you know is a Germanic dialect). It is my impression that Alsatians who know Alsatian, also may know standard German at least from school.

This is from talking to Alsatians.

Watch "Rund Um" on the internet if you want to hear Alsatian in action.
I don't know if people who speak just German can understand it or not.
Guest   Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:49 am GMT
@CAn'tadian: Spanish will dissapear in the following decades in US and nobody will speak it. Are you happy now? By the way, you are not even from the US but Canadian and complain about the Anglophone "arrogance" towards the French speakers. I don't understand, you contradict yourself. French speakers have the right to affirm their rights and the Spanish don't ? Why?Only because there are many Spanish speakers who are inmigrants? Aren't inmigrants human beings? That's not even the whole truth because there exist many Hispanic families in USA whose presence in that territory is older than the presence of the French speakers in Quebec. If French has more rights in Quebec it's so because it was not repopulated by anglo speakers to the same degree than California during the Gold fever for example, if not you would be speaking English and nothing else. At least the situation of Spanish in USA is better than Cajun French.
Visitor   Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:29 am GMT
<< At least the situation of Spanish in USA is better than Cajun French. >>

Better? Take a look at the following text:

The magazine dedicated to the Hispanic Community of New Mexico and the Southwest.

La Herencia continues in the tradition of the Spanish press in the Southwest that began in Santa Fe in 1834 and, ironically, ended in Santa Fe in 1958. Once again in Santa Fe, La Herencia began publication in 1994.

La Herencia was founded by Santa Fe native, Ana Pacheco, in response to the rapid decline of the Spanish language and Hispanic culture of New Mexico. The quarterly publication provides information on Hispanic culture with articles written by local historians from New Mexico and the Southwest. The editorial consists of oral history, Spanish language and Southwestern literature, book reviews, poetry, recipes, myths and other forms of Spanish and Mexican folklore retold with documentary photographs and illustrations. Current issues and trends are also covered. La Herencia is the only publication of its kind written about Hispanic culture by Hispanics from the Southwest. La Herencia is the publication for Hispanic literary arts in the 21st century.

http://missosology.info/forum/index.php?sid=38b5b72ab0d7f257c6fde9ff16e33903

New Mexico is the stronghold of the spanish language and culture in the US. At least in Lousiana there are many French Immersion Classes and younger generation Cajun speak French closer to the standard one although Cajin French is percectly intelligible too. In addtion there are TV and radio programs broadcasted and newspapers published in French.

In NM Spanish is dying at a very rapid rate.