do anyone read Beowulf?

Prettylamp   Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:01 pm GMT
what is an Anglo-Saxonist?
Luis   Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:20 am GMT
My daugter has a quiz on Beowulf episode one through five tomorrow, and lucky her gets all these relating information you posted, Adam. She is to read the modern translation first, then go back to the Old English version. Thanks very much.
Luis   Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:05 am GMT
I just found out her "original version" isn't really the original; it's also a translated one! Right! How in the name of Alamo could a middle schooler read Old English?!
Luis   Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:08 am GMT
-in the name of the Alamo
Uriel   Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:02 am GMT
Why not? They aren't that dumb.
Luis   Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:14 pm GMT
Is it very rude to say most of them are probably not so smart as you were at that tender age? :-D
Candy   Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:24 pm GMT
Well, it IS incredibly difficult to read in the original, for teenagers or anyone else. There need to be so many words explained in a glossary that, quite honestly, you're practically reading it in translation anyway! Would anyone really understand even the first sentence "Hwaet we Gar-Dena in gaerdagum" (spelling?) without a glossary? The only obvious word is 'we'.
Candy   Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:30 pm GMT
I've just found an excellent website on Beowulf, with the text available in both the original and translation, and lots of study aids too. It's here: http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~beowulf/
Luis   Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:32 pm GMT
Thanks again, Candy.
Candy   Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:33 pm GMT
You're welcome! :) Hope Katie enjoys it a bit more now.