The use of: executing, conducting, or holding

new_boy   Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:58 am GMT
Before I go to the main subject, I will tell you the reason behind this problem. I am in the middle of a tender process. The last phase of the tender process is called e-auction. I want to notify my partner who happens to be a Malaysian who can only speak English with me.

I am confused wich words that can I use in a sentence like this:

"The e-auction will be HELD on ....." or "The e-auction will be EXECUTED on..." or "The e-auction will be CONDUCTED on..."

Actually, I have used the word "HELD". He understand what I mean. But, what I don't know is that, is it a correct word? Can I use "executed" or "conducted".

Thanks.
Deborah   Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:29 am GMT
"Held" is the word I would use. I'm a native English speaker (American).
new_boy   Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:40 am GMT
Hi Deborah, thanks for your reply. How about the other two? Can I use them in this case?

Thanks.
Someone   Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:08 am GMT
"Executed" wouldn't work. "Conducted" could work, but "held" is the best choice.
new_boy   Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:55 am GMT
Ok, thank you.
Mxsmanic   Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:16 am GMT
Execution means actually doing a task. Conducting means directing an action. Holding means organizing.

Computers execute instructions. Sheriffs execute court orders.

Guides conduct tours. Committees conduct inquiries. Team leaders conduct meetings. Keynote speakers conduct presentations.

Hall managers hold concerts. Organizations hold conventions. Managers hold meetings.