Is english the best language for poems.

Youth   Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:41 am GMT
Many people say that english is one of the best language for poems.

Whilst French is one of the best for prose.

Do you think it because of the huge vocab of the english language which allows it to be subtile, thus, making the poem more intersting?

Discuss
let's be realistic   Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:01 am GMT
Huge vocab means shit all. The English vocab is not so large because most of the words don't count. Sure you can make a poem with a load of obscure words shoved in it, but no one will read it. English's active vocab is no larger than other languages.

As for poetry, that's pretty subjective isn't it? I don't like poetry in any language, especially English. I'm sure Damian loves English poetry though!
youth   Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:12 am GMT
no you dont have to pack a poem with obscure world.

Its just english has multiple world for the same meaning, but each hold a sliglty different meaning.

Overlook Survay

wrath anger Rage

belief creed

ask inquire request
sdake   Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:43 am GMT
This topic is absurd! Most languages are suitable both for prose and poems. The Russian literature is impressive, there are nice poems in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Chinese, HIndi. Fortunately there are not only two languages in the world. African languages may be suited too
let's be realistic   Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:01 am GMT
<<Its just english has multiple world for the same meaning, but each hold a sliglty different meaning.

Overlook Survay

wrath anger Rage

belief creed

ask inquire request >>

You think English is the only language with synonyms?

Spanish
anger = rabia, enojo, cólera, furor, furia, indignación, irritación, vesania, cabreo
belief = convencimiento, convicción, certidumbre, asentimiento, opinión, suposición, presunción, religión, dogma, credo, doctrina, fe, ideales
survey = inspeccionar, vigilar, controlar, fiscalizar, analizar, comprobar, examinar, investigar, reconocer, registrar, verificar, intervenir, supervisar, explorar, auditar

Each of them holds a slightly different meaning.

Obviously it will be the same in every language on the planet.
Shuimo   Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
of course not!
It is the Chinese language, the ultimate language of poetry!
Invité d'honneur   Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:00 pm GMT
«Is english the best language for poems»

No. There is no best languages for poems.
Roman Warrior   Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:38 pm GMT
I absolutely disagree; I think the best languages for poetry are the Romance languages, especially French, Spanish and Italian.
Wintereis   Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:58 pm GMT
As a peson who actually writes poetry and has read it in three languages, I cannot discount your idea or agree with it. As one person has already stated, the romance languages can be very good for writing poetry. There gendered words instantly instill a humanity. But English, its lack of gender, allows for more variation than m/f/n. Also, the number of words in English does make a difference. Contrary to what people may tell you, poets love words of all sorts and are likely to employ a large vocabulary, though this is not universal. On the other hand, sound is important to poetry too, and the romance languages are useful for this. I cannot speak to the qualities of languages outside Europe. But, as with all art, it always comes back to subjective preferances. Another question worth posing would be to ask why so much of the publishing industry is in the US and England with about 50000 new books from the US in 2007. Is it the importance of English or does it predate/have a hand in the rise of English?
Shuimo   Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:18 am GMT
Wintereis Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:58 pm GMT
Another question worth posing would be to ask why so much of the publishing industry is in the US and England with about 50000 new books from the US in 2007. Is it the importance of English or does it predate/have a hand in the rise of English?

=================================

Due to the economic power of the US, with Britain taking a lift!
Wintereis   Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:38 am GMT
I doubt that Shuimo since the US publishers of Boston and New York,predate much of the US economic and political power. And the American publishers actually got a start from British publishers. No, the American publishing industry of New England began even before the US existed. So, I cant imagine that the 20th and 21st century wealth of the US has that much to do with the rise of American publishers in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Edward Teach   Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:20 am GMT
Its nice to see Shuimo taking such a non-biased view of languages.
Tell me old son, whats the best language to repress Tibetans with?
renegate   Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:15 am GMT
<<Wintereis Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:58 pm GMT
Another question worth posing would be to ask why so much of the publishing industry is in the US and England with about 50000 new books from the US in 2007. Is it the importance of English or does it predate/have a hand in the rise of English?>>

What's that got to do with poetry? It just means a lot of people read poetry in English, but that doesn't mean it's good. Who knows? Maybe the US poetry industry is like the US film industry, Hollywood? S
Four Letter   Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:50 am GMT
English is the best language for swearing, especially four-letter words.
Wintereis   Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:42 am GMT
Renigate, if you had read my post well, you would have known that I hold tastes in poetry and other art forms, including film, to be subjective. My question regarding the British and American publishers was not to name them greater but to inquire into the history and culture that brought these two nations to the head of publishing. Your responce, however, does show a want of depth and understanding when it comes to American media. You want to label it and dismis it before you ever examine it to its full extent. So let me assure you, American film makers can be every bit as into the snobish, artistic masterbations of contemporary film as the best of European film makers. You just have to look past the popular cinema that the whole world laps up to find it. Usually people are just too lazy to look below the surface of things.