When to use 2nd plural in Spanish?

Nala   Fri May 01, 2009 12:51 am GMT
In Spanish when is the correct time to use...

Os
Vos
Vosotros
Sois
Vuestro/a Vuestros/as
Quedais
Quedad

anyone care to explain? Thanks alot.
me gustan los tacos   Fri May 01, 2009 2:12 am GMT
Os is the indirect object form for vosotros, for example
"os digo"
Vos is a pronoun used instead of tú in some Latin American countries.
Vosotros is just the informal plural form of tú (used mainly in Spain) as opposed to ustedes
Sois is ser conjugated for vosotros in the present tense: vosotros sois estúpidos- y'all are stupid
Vuestro is the genitive form of vosotros. Vuestra casa= your house. You just change the ending based on the noun it's modifying.
Quedais=vosotros form of quedar in the present tense.
Quedad=vosotros command form of quedar. It means like "stay!" or something
Mimi   Fri May 01, 2009 6:23 am GMT
Vosotros is not used in Southern Spain, including Canarias, and never in South America (altho' it appears there as VOS in some countries).
So, I say, don't bother with Vosotros at all, you should be able to recognize it, but for the practical purposes: useUstedes instead,even in Central and Northern Spain, Ustedes is more polite; vosotros is semivulgar.
European   Fri May 01, 2009 7:26 am GMT
I always use vosotros and its equivalent verbal forms. Why should we simplify the language too much??
Guest   Fri May 01, 2009 12:26 pm GMT
A few precissions:

Vosotros is used in Southern Spain,because I'm from southern Spain and use it . It happens that it's not used in Andalusia , where proper Spanish can be rarely heard. It's vulgar to use "ustedes" all the time, because it loses all it's politeness. Not to mention both using usedes and conjugating like vosotros like they do in Andalusia (usedes habláis, instead of ustedes hablan). If you want to adress people using ustedes and pretend to sound polite, you must also use vosotros or another non polite pronoun (vos i guess ), to distinguish both treatments, if not, ustedes becomes as non polite as vosotros.
Kendra   Fri May 01, 2009 3:37 pm GMT
I've been to Canary Islands and vosotros sounds obsolete there. Even little children use ustedes between themselves...
Guest   Fri May 01, 2009 6:57 pm GMT
Vosotros is standard in European Spanish. In Canary Islands and other regions in Southern Spain people speak dialects.
Meijse   Fri May 01, 2009 7:07 pm GMT
Vosotros is standard in Castillian Spanish only, not in Andalusian, Canarian or Latin American Spanish.

Only 5% of Spanish speakers use vosotros. So, vosotros is the exception rather than a general rule.
blanchette   Fri May 01, 2009 7:22 pm GMT
Only 5% of Spanish speakers use vosotros. So, vosotros is the exception rather than a general rule.

This is stupid! As guest said above Vosotros and its verbal forms are standard in Spain. Tv presenters, writers, journalists use it everyday. You can't find a single newspaper or modern book edited in Spain without Vosotros. So stop talking nonsense please
Guest   Fri May 01, 2009 8:20 pm GMT
Vosotros is standard in Castillian Spanish only, not in Andalusian, Canarian or Latin American Spanish.

Andalusian is a dialect, not standard Spanish, just like Italian spoken in Northern Italy or in the South. Vosotros is standard across all Spain. Also , as I said before, usage of Ustedes in Andalusia is not correct because they conjugate it as vosotros: ustedes cantáis instead of ustedes cantan and that is simply wrong. In Latin America it's diferent because they have their own standard and conjugate ustedes properly.
Guest   Fri May 01, 2009 8:35 pm GMT

It's around 15% because most of Spaniards use vosotros. In Andalusia not everybody uses ustedes. Take a look at this map:
red Ustedes
green Vosotros
http://www.geocities.com/bf1ca0229e80ffbe6042a3e9524865ee/MS-jun2005-fig2.gif
Xoxo   Fri May 01, 2009 10:14 pm GMT
Yes Spaniards use Vosotros but Spaniards are only around 10% of all Spanish speakers.

That's my two cents.
gar   Fri May 01, 2009 10:24 pm GMT
<<So, I say, don't bother with Vosotros at all, you should be able to recognize it, but for the practical purposes: useUstedes instead,even in Central and Northern Spain, Ustedes is more polite; vosotros is semivulgar. >>

No, I think they should definitely bother with it. Similarly, they should also bother with 'vos'. Why do people always try to dumb down the languages for foreigners. I had an Argentine teacher at high school who did everything possible to hide the existence of 'vos' from her students. Only after 3 years did she finally with great reluctance admit it existed and was very common. Foreigners should learn ALL aspects of a language that are not entirely archaic, and that includes COMMON verbal forms used by MILLIONS of people.
Guest   Fri May 01, 2009 11:42 pm GMT
Vos is informal and Ustedes also exists in Argentina as polite pronoun, right? Or do they use vos only?
XingXang   Sat May 02, 2009 12:40 am GMT
Argentines use Vos and Ustedes, Spaniards use Tu and Vosotros, however by far most of the Spanish-speaking world uses Tu and Ustedes.