a progressive magazine

Luis   Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:57 pm GMT
Today I heard in an American radio show an interview with an editor, whose magazine was described as "the most progressive of th nation".
I wonder if progressive, when used in this context, really just means "liberal".
JJM   Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:21 pm GMT
The term "progressive" no longer means anything.

Hijacked by the left of the political spectrum some time ago, it is used to suggest: "we are left of the political spectrum so only we care about things."

Lest you think I am being partisan, dispel any such thoughts forthwith!

The right of the political spectrum also has several meaningless words of its own, to wit, "patriotism" (as if only they were capable of love of country) and "family values."
Brennus   Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:02 pm GMT
I would agree with JJM on this one. I remember when Communist newspapers in the 1960's and 70's both at home and abroad were calling their supporters "progressive peoples" and referring to Lenin as "the mentor of all progressive peoples of the world." The extreme right is guilty of similar verbicide. What they call "conservative" is more often "reactionary" instead and envisions the kind of income distributions and working conditions that existed in the 1800's.