Anglosphere

K. T.   Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:20 pm GMT
Texas is part of the South, but distinct. Believe me, Texans are a group unto themselves. I've never seen any other state where people are so obsessed with their state and even have state-shaped trinkets in their homes. On the other hand, they are EXTREMELY LIKEABLE people, so their Texan pride isn't unbearable.
-   Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:54 pm GMT
I thought Texas was part of the Midwest. And what about Western Texas? Is it part of the South too? It seems almost Southwestern.
Jasper   Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:55 pm GMT
↑ I agree, KT. I lived in Texas for a brief time many years ago, and I noticed a certain "something" in the Texan mindset that was different from other Southerners.

I think they are oftentimes rather too full of themselves, though.
boz   Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:18 pm GMT
<< Texans are a group unto themselves. I've never seen any other state where people are so obsessed with their state and even have state-shaped trinkets in their homes. >>

Well that's not limited to Texans, an awful lot of things are state-shaped in Wyoming too.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/wynewzz.gif
Beathag   Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:37 am GMT
>>I thought Texas was part of the Midwest. And what about Western Texas? Is it part of the South too? It seems almost Southwestern. <<

Um, I believe that Texas considers itself very southern- I have never heard anyone consider themselves to be from the midwest. Only south. Lol.
And I have been all over the state but I'm sure there are some areas that may feel a little differently... hard to say. We're all different, even here.

>>I think they are oftentimes rather too full of themselves, though.<<

I really wouldn't say that's just a Texas failing. I've met New Yorkers who were too full of themselves. I've met Georgians who were too full of themselves.
Though, I really feel like the southerners in general have the biggest egos. And schizophrenic- sometimes friendly, sometimes bigoted, etc.
K. T.   Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:56 am GMT
"and I noticed a certain "something" in the Texan mindset that was different from other Southerners."

Exactly! But then again, there are different Southern personalities. People from Georgia and people from Tenn. don't seem alike to me.
Beathag   Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:34 am GMT
>>Exactly! But then again, there are different Southern personalities. People from Georgia and people from Tenn. don't seem alike to me.<<

Yeah, I have family in Georgia. Another world. Btw, I love their southern accent the best- am I the only one? It's...honey lol.
I hate the way people from Arkansas and Alabama sound.
K. T.   Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:05 am GMT
Probably you like the kind of accent one hears (or used to hear) around Savannah. It IS like honey.
Travis   Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:03 pm GMT
>>>>I thought Texas was part of the Midwest. And what about Western Texas? Is it part of the South too? It seems almost Southwestern. <<

Um, I believe that Texas considers itself very southern- I have never heard anyone consider themselves to be from the midwest. Only south. Lol.
And I have been all over the state but I'm sure there are some areas that may feel a little differently... hard to say. We're all different, even here.<<

Yeah - Texas definitely does not seem Midwestern to me, and especially seems quite different from the Upper Midwest.
Jasper   Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 pm GMT
"Probably you like the kind of accent one hears (or used to hear) around Savannah. It IS like honey."

That would be Georgian Tidewater, a dying dialect. I agree—it's a beautiful tongue. Students who've never heard it can hear it in the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil".
Beathag   Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:15 pm GMT
>>That would be Georgian Tidewater, a dying dialect. I agree—it's a beautiful tongue. Students who've never heard it can hear it in the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil".<<

It's dying?! How awful. Too bad I am terrible at mimicking it...
Uriel   Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:11 am GMT
East Texas feels pretty southern, but the further west you go, the more Texas become southwestern. The southern-style accent fades away into straight western or hispanic. I'm not even sure El Paso and Texas really claim each other -- they don't even want to be in the same time zone. But yeah, I wouldn't really call Texas part of the south -- they're a breed unto themselves.

State-shaped stuff in Wyoming .... that was funny. NM isn't far off, although we do have that little zigzag at the bottom that we called the bootheel. Courtesy of the Gadsden Purchase, which bought up that little snippet from Mexico so we could run a railroad line through better terrain. Before that, the NM border had been straight across, like Arizona. (And before that it had been a territory of Mexico, of course. Sometimes it seems like not much has changed....)
El Paso   Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:51 am GMT
>> I'm not even sure El Paso and Texas really claim each other - they don't even want to be in the same time zone <<

Oh wow, that's really funny. Do they consider themselves to be an island unto themselves?
Uriel   Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:56 am GMT
Let's just say that I've heard it referred to as "Upper Juarez". LOL.
K. T.   Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:37 pm GMT
"State-shaped stuff in Wyoming .... that was funny."

Yes it is. I wonder if they send things to Colorado as well.